Fertilized soil and food

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I sprouted clover seeds in miracle grow soil and then transplanted into organic soil. Can I assume that by the time they are mature enough for consumption they will be safe to eat?

Patrick Del Pizzo
San Diego

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Fertilizer, pesticides, herbicides are all transferred through the root and plant system (systemic). I would not voluntarily feed a tortoise (nor myself or son) plants or veggies that are treated with any of these items....now, if you purchase a plant that you are unsure if it has been treated with any of these chemicals....I would suggest not offering it as a food item for at least one entire growing season....

Others feel differently, however, these chemicals are harmful and even more so over prolonged exposure...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree with ascott up to a point. If the fertiliser is one that can be used on plants that will be consumed by humans, it is unlikely the plant will harm your tort.

It may say that plants fed with this fertiliser should not be eaten for a period of time after use.. say 2 weeks... Respect that and it should be fine.

If it says that it's not suitable for use on fruit and veg plants don't use it on your tort's plants either

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
JoesMum said:
I agree with ascott up to a point. If the fertiliser is one that can be used on plants that will be consumed by humans, it is unlikely the plant will harm your tort.

It may say that plants fed with this fertiliser should not be eaten for a period of time after use.. say 2 weeks... Respect that and it should be fine.

If it says that it's not suitable for use on fruit and veg plants don't use it on your tort's plants either

I'm pretty sure the bag had pictures of vegetables on the front but I'll double check.

Thanks!

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
pdelpizzo said:
JoesMum said:

I'm pretty sure the bag had pictures of vegetables on the front but I'll double check.

Thanks!

Well, it's not the bag with vegetables on it but it also doesn't say anything positive or negative about human/animal consumption of plants. I used the Miracle-Gro potting mix. I checked the manufacturer's website and there's nothing there either but it does list this product as recommended soil in discussions about how to set up a vegetable garden. Since the seedlings are now in a bed of organic soil and they won't be eaten for a while I think I'll just go with it and only use organic products for sprouting seeds in the future.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.