Few questions. New owner

razorseal

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey there.

We got a new pet. Her name is Cleo (We think she’s a girl) she’s bonded really well with us. Wife kinda hit me with it and I don’t know much about these animals.

I’ve been researching and I had a few questions…

We had a wire mesh too and I learned that we need a closed tank, so I closed the wire mesh with an acrylic plate… but now we aren’t sure how she’ll get some fresh air in there. Should I drill some holes in the acrylic so some air can get in?? I have a laser cutter so I can cut holes in. Acrylic plate no problem.

Also will be purchasing a uvb t5 ho 10.0 lamp. That will be installed on. Underside of the acrylic (so it’ll be inside). I don’t think uvb rays can get across the acrylic

For heat/lighting we’re using an Amazon reptile light kit that keeps it around 80 to 85 degrees. Some people here said ceramic heat bulb but I don’t see the point since the tank is at 80-85… that shines above the acrylic.

Lastly humidity. Trying to figure out a cost effective way to keep that at around 70%

Any suggestions for anything?

He seems to be super happy and loves interacting with us.

Attachments

• IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1

razorseal

Florida
Humidity should be mid 80's also. Fresh air gets in every time you feed or open the enclosure.

So it’s ok when it’s sealed? Figure open it once or twice a day? More now cuz I’m keeping an eye on him. I’m sure he doesn’t breathe that much air but still… having it sealed worried me

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
So it’s ok when it’s sealed? Figure open it once or twice a day? More now cuz I’m keeping an eye on him. I’m sure he doesn’t breathe that much air but still… having it sealed worried me
If it's not an air tight seal it will be fine

razorseal

Florida
Also, any idea on the gender? We can’t seem to figure it out 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_0771.jpeg
    IMG_0771.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

razorseal

Florida
I've used clear, aquarium silicone to glue hinges to a sheet of plexiglass and then I can easily open it or prop it open a bit if the humidity gets too high.
Not a bad idea. There are couple spots air can get in (just looked) and if humidity gets too high, you can crack it open a little to vent.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Not a bad idea. There are couple spots air can get in (just looked) and if humidity gets too high, you can crack it open a little to vent.
Yes.
If the humidity gets too high, condensed water will drop back down like rain and you don't want wet. Just humid.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I also keep a Redfoot in a greenhouse environment. Frankly, the plastic is kinda porous...my humidity generally is 85 degrees with 80-85% humidity... I don't worry about breathing...DSCN2492.JPG
this is 85% humidityDSCN2330.JPG
see how bright she is? DSCN2423.JPG