Figs, figs, the magical fruit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I have known for some time that figs are nearly the perfect fruit for many tortoises- low in sugars and carbs, they still pack a decent dose of calcium (22.4mg), 9mg of phosphorous, some iron, magnesium, potassium, 1.7gr of dietary fiber, etc. (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1884/2 )

The thing is, they are almost never available locally- until I found some at the local Trader Joes!

I shot a bunch of photos of my guys digging into them, but may not post them today (kind of busy)- all you can really see is a tortoise with its head vanishing into a green ball!

The interesting thing about figs is that some form of fig grows wild in most places you can find tortoises, and it seems as if they show up on the 'OK' foods list- if only as a treat- for nearly all species.

The ratio of good fibers and minerals to low sugars and fats makes this a very different kind of fruit than we usually offer. I don't remember what I paid for the package, but it is on my shopping list from now on!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a fig tree in my Yellowfoot pen, and two in my Manouria rain forest. The one in the YF pen is a very prolific tree and the YF tortoises sit under it with hopeful expressions. Each evening when I'm going around to make sure everyone is ok I drop several of them down for the tortoises. BUT (good with the bad) the tree also harbors the dreaded fig beetle! These bugs are similar in shape to June bugs, but they are bright irridescent green. When they fly around you it sounds like a mini helicopter.

Nice thing about the tree is that the leaves are edible too.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
We have a fig tree, and we hate figs! It came with the house. What kind of torts can eat figs? The hubby has a Redfoot, and I'm guessing she can have some. Can the Russians, as an occasional treat? I haven't given them any, as they're still fruit.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the red foot should go bonkers for the figs, and russians can have them, I am still saying occasionally is ok.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a couple of different fig trees, and my Cherries love them and so do the box turtles. Right now there so many ripe ones, and Pio and Solo are in fig heaven. The only problem is that after a fig feast, neither one wants to eat their greens the next day. Sometime they won't eat for two day's holding out for the figs.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Figs can't survive the cold in zone 4 where I live. My mom grows one indoors in a pot and gets a couple of fruits each year, not enough to share with the pets.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Edna, I have one in a really big pot, and another in the veg. garden. The one in the veg garden I cover with big heavy duty black bags for the Winter. The one in the pot, when the leaves fall off, We bring it into the garage where it's cold but not freezing. I water it a little every few weeks. I don't know what zone I'm in (NY), but it gets really cold here and we have a lot of snow too. Every Spring I feed the fig trees, the one in the pot too. They have so many figs, that I used to give them away, but now with the torts, I don't.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Staten Island is supposed to be zone 6b, 0--5 degrees. Wrapping, or covering, as you do the tree in your garden is supposed to gain you 1 climate zone, so that would make it zone 7 and OK for figs. We get to -30 here, not every year but it can happen. I could try a big pot, but it would have to be moved into the basement in fall, and then our growing season is very short too, so that might not even do it:(

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
the more you eat the more you toot. oh wait those are beans.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Madkins007 said:
The thing is, they are almost never available locally- until I found some at the local Trader Joes!

Where is this store at?

It's no secret, I have been trying for years to get some figs to try on my tortoises. The only figs I have ever saw here in this area, were the dried ones. :( This year I broke down and bought a couple of tiny fig trees and have them in pots. They have grown well, but with winter coming and having to bring them inside, is when I will have my brown thumb showing up no doubt. Still I am giving it my best try. Some day, some how, my Hingebacks will get to try figs!! :D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Jacqui said:
Madkins007 said:

Where is this store at?

It's no secret, I have been trying for years to get some figs to try on my tortoises. The only figs I have ever saw here in this area, were the dried ones. :( This year I broke down and bought a couple of tiny fig trees and have them in pots. They have grown well, but with winter coming and having to bring them inside, is when I will have my brown thumb showing up no doubt. Still I am giving it my best try. Some day, some how, my Hingebacks will get to try figs!! :D

One Pacific Place- just south of the Westroads and Regency Court on Pacific street, just east of the Interstate. I could look up the actual address for you... but then again, so could you and I am a lazy SOB. :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Forget feeding figs to the tortoises. Barbie made some fig and vanilla bean jam that will make you swoon. I think she produced about two dozen jars. Oh man, is it good!
OK, we did feed some of the extras to the tortoises too but...

DSC08563.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Carl, do you have fig trees too??????? Let's see them...what kind do you have...or....did you buy your figs.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
terryo said:
Carl, do you have fig trees too??????? Let's see them...what kind do you have...or....did you buy your figs.

Nope, we can't grow good figs down here as it is too warm and humid during the winter.
The figs Barb used to make the jam were Black Missions from the store.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
OK, so is OMAHA the ONLY PLACE in the US that is not swarming with figs?????????

Heck, until fairly recently, my only experience with these tasty things was Fig Newtons! I was not even sure that figs were a real fruit.

Well... OK, there IS that famous scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" ("Bad figs"), but other than that? Nada around here.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
If we can do it here in NY, with our severe Winters, you can do it too Mark. Last year most of the Winter we were covered with snow. Order one on line. The Chicago fig is a little more hardy. The one I have planted, I just cover it with a load of heavy duty black plastic bags. In the Spring, I take off the bags, and it's fine. The other one I have is in a really big pot. (black Mission) Two of my son's have to carry it into the garage. They both produce loads of figs....go for it Mark!

pi01

5 Year Member
South Carolina
Madkins007 said:
Well... OK, there IS that famous scene in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" ("Bad figs"), but other than that? Nada around here.

Sorry, but the line in the movie is "bad date" (and we wasnt talking about the girl in the next room...). Anyone know if figs are ok to feed leos? Figs are a dime a dozen down here.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I am indiana jones and you killed my monkey

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
pi01 said:
Madkins007 said:

Sorry, but the line in the movie is "bad date" (and we wasnt talking about the girl in the next room...). Anyone know if figs are ok to feed leos? Figs are a dime a dozen down here.

:D you need to ship them up here to Fig less Nebraska. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.