Finally get a day off from work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Ouch ya, you don't want to use mdf, particle, or chip board. MDF is just sawdust and glue, hence really heavy. Not to mention a sponge for water. It absorbs, expands, then crumbles when introduced to moisture. They do make an exterior grade mdf but I still advise people against it if they want to use it on porches and decks. Just get ya some pine ply...actually you got different choices. I prefer 3/4" because I can build boxes with it without adding any blocking. The edges will hold a drywall screw after pre drilling a 1/8" hole.
Anything smaller and you will need to put in some blocking. If you want a smooth finish like MDF, they have various higher grade ply but they're more expensive. Sometimes Home Depot will have Cabinet Grade Ply for $25-30 a sheet, which I love to use for finish work that usually requires birch.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
I will make this new plywood run on Saturday, I actually starting to feel bad for Tilley since I was sure this project would be finished last Sunday. I'm also a Halloween extremist and I run a Haunt (I build my own props) so all this "mistake wood" will become grave markers :) . Thank you for your FYI!

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Ya, you can always use it for something else. Sorry I couldn't catch it sooner. I use a a lot of scraps on visual displays so I tend to hoard anything that I think I can re-use >.< Just elmme know if you're curious about anything else woodwork wise and I'm sure Tilly will be happy with the end result :)

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
Thank you very much! I almost want to salvage sides of the MDF for the new enclosure but even the sides are decently heavy. I'm guessing...buy (3) 4x6 plywood sheets and use the 2nd and 3rd sheet for sides?

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
No problem at all. I would shy away from using MDF at all on an enclosure. It's just work the weight and the possibility that a part of it will become ruined after some water exposure and you have to replace it.

2 4'x8' sheets of plywood will net you "at max" a 4'x8' enclosure with 16" walls. So unless you plan on going bigger then that, 2 sheets will get the job done. And if your Lowes or Home Depot offers it, they would only need to make 5 cuts (typically 25 cents a cut) so you wouldn't have to cut anything yourself if you didn't want to. Just take the pieces home, drill and screw together and BAM! You're done

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
HAHAHA! Just had a serious "huh?....oh duh" moment there. I couldn't figure out how you were building the base and all 4 sides out of two 4x8 sheets *light bulb*. I am gonna use all the brackets and screws I bought for the original build, think wood glue is necessary?

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
Lol I was debating on whether to specify how you should cut them. Ripping 1 sheet into 3 16" (depending on ply and blade width) by 8' strips. Then cut one strip into 2 46.5" by 16" pieces >.<

My opinion on wood glue is that it never hurts. Getcha a small bottle of Titebond lll(green label and cap), swear that stuff is tougher then any gorilla glue or 2 part epoxy. The only time I wouldn't use it is when I would plan on taking it apart in the future.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
My idea is actually decently close to yours, not gonna make the same measurement mistakes like the last time. Get (2) 4x6 sheets of plywood (8ft won't fit in the space I'm gonna be using). Then just cut the second 4x8 into (4) 1x6's. Then just cut two of them into oh *thinking* I guess that'd be 3ft 10 1/2inch. Please tell me if those measurements are wrong! I'm currently in a CNC Machining class and all I did yesterday was adding/subtracting about 30 measurements (to the nearest 1/8 of an inch). So if the width of the ply is 3/4inch and the long sides are exactly 6foot, the other two sides should be 3ft 10 1/2inch...

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
That should be the right measurement, some plywood is 48.25" to give people extra to make cuts but usually only the higher grade ply. You're gonna want to put an overhanging ledge around the top if it's only 12" too since you're going to lose a couple of inches to substrate.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
Alas! My one and only project to buy and build 2morrow! Once again, thank you Very much for your help and/or knowledge!

Lasciels Toy

5 Year Member
Florida
No worries at all, mate. good luck and just lemme know if a question pops up, I check the forums pretty regularly.

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
Went and got the new plywood today, turns out the sheets only come in 4x8's and the only option that varies is the type of plywood and the thickness. Ended up going with two sheets of 4x8x1/2, then I discovered the dude who cuts wasn't on the job today so now I get to make the proper measurements (which will be easy) and then hopefully cut them straight! I'm one of them very few special guys who can somehow turn a Skilsaw in the middle of a cut...

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
This is my Hail Mary (don't ya love the irony being Good Sunday I chose to use this term?). The sides are halfway done, I just sprayed the base with a sealent for potty breaks. I need bedding ideas I can find at either a Lowes or WalMart in the next 3-5 hours! Pet stores are closed...THanks!

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
Done (took a few shortcuts...)

Also used Timothy Hay for the new bedding

Attachments

• Sides.jpg
    Sides.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Sides(How).jpg
    Sides(How).jpg
    4 KB · Views: 20
  • Corner Supports.jpg