Finally have a tortoise suitable home!

JenaJ

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello.

I owned a CA desert tortoise named Vanessa, for many years. When I moved to the midwest, I surrendered her to another desert tortoise person. I did not think she would do well outside of her environment (right?).

I have moved around, but now I am in West Texas (desert). I have been here about 1.5 years and wanted a tortoise so bad...but patience.

I will be closing on a home next month that has block walls around the large back yard! I am finally in a place where I can have a tortoise again!

There are no desert tortoises available in Texas and CA, AZ and UT do not allow them to be removed. I guess I can't get a desert tortoise again, but am looking forward to doing the research on the best tortoise for this area!

I do intend to adopt, if possible. There are sooo many sulcatas around here. Always babies for sale. Sad.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome back!
The caresheets and other members in Texas will help you find the best match for you so good luck in your search.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congratulations on your new house. Looking forward to find out what tortoise you pick out to go with your home. 🐢

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hello.

I owned a CA desert tortoise named Vanessa, for many years. When I moved to the midwest, I surrendered her to another desert tortoise person. I did not think she would do well outside of her environment (right?).

I have moved around, but now I am in West Texas (desert). I have been here about 1.5 years and wanted a tortoise so bad...but patience.

I will be closing on a home next month that has block walls around the large back yard! I am finally in a place where I can have a tortoise again!

There are no desert tortoises available in Texas and CA, AZ and UT do not allow them to be removed. I guess I can't get a desert tortoise again, but am looking forward to doing the research on the best tortoise for this area!

I do intend to adopt, if possible. There are sooo many sulcatas around here. Always babies for sale. Sad.
Gopherus berlandieri (Texas tortoise) is native to Texas. Try to find a turtle club or leave your name with animal rescues. The Texas tortoise is every bit as nice as the CA desert tortoise, but they don't get as big.

EppsDynasty

Today is my birthday!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Gopherus berlandieri (Texas tortoise) is native to Texas. Try to find a turtle club or leave your name with animal rescues. The Texas tortoise is every bit as nice as the CA desert tortoise, but they don't get as big.
If you loved your Desert Tort this is for you. Sounds like you have (or will) a great place for one to live happily ever after.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

The process is much more onerous to keep a Texas tortoise in Texas. As in having to become an actual permitted wildlife rehabilitator for several years before you can keep an animal that can't be released.