Finally think I have Petrie's Enclosure Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkpirate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central New York
Ok I have been reading the forums and I have set up and indoor enclosure for Petrie that I think is going to work. Please take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.

I did get talked into buying a coil UVB bulb at the pet store and I am going to take it back and get a MVB and I think am infrared light for the nighttime since it seems a little cold in there.

I am also thinking plexiglass over the top to keep more humidity in.

Any suggestions would be great!

49C089D4-F592-4594-94CC-73FE6D84AA7A.JPGE3B394B7-4774-4DF5-A9ED-01D71356876D.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

jason g.

5 Year Member
That looks great. If you put plexus glass over the top remember your I've light don't work good through and temps can get to hot quick. I used that to start with and quit cause it was hot and so humid the tank I had her in to start with was always fogged up so I couldn't see in. Now I cut a hole in a big square plastic cookie pan.(1' by 2') Turned it up side down put a couple of small vent hole in it and covered it with substrate. It stay pretty humid in there cause I keep the substrate moist (I spray it with a spray bottle every morning). I also mix it real good once a week. Clean out any poop if any. He usually poops in his daily luke warm water soak. Sometimes I have to change his water 4 times I hate him being in poopy water. He don't mind I've caught him eating his poop before but it drives me crazy!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Sarah, the enclosure looks great. A top would hold the humidity in and that will make a big difference in how smooth your tortoise's shell grows. Jason is right about the heat build up and about the UV not working through the plexiglass. I cut holes in my enclosure's top to allow the MVB and CHE's to do their thing. Then I use aluminum foil to protect the top from heat and to seal the holes a little. The CHE was controlled by thermostat (sold at the reptile store) and set to about 80F. I used a temp gun, the PE-1, to set the basking temp under the MVB. I had the MVB on a hanging stand so that I could raise or lower it for the correct temp.

I just believe that what ever you need to do to keep the humidity high in the enclosure is well worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.