Fingernail question

alexialawrence

5 Year Member
I have an 11month old leopard tortoise. I'm sure it's just cuz his nails are long but I took a picture and was wondering if it looks like something bad. They're kinda starting to go sideways. Please give me your opinion. Thanks

ImageUploadedByTortForum1386979635.499845.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Not unusual....what type of substrate does he live on? Does he live indoors or out? If indoor, perhaps place some slate tiles in the path he normally walks--this rougher surface will help to naturally wear his nails down...

alexialawrence

5 Year Member
Ya she has top soil and sphagnum moss and she is kept indoors. I put a rough tile underneath her basking light. So hopefully that helps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Among tortoise species, the leopard and the russian seem to grow abnormally long nails. I know the female of the species uses these long nails to help dig nests. My adult female leopard tortoises really have long back nails and they live outside and wander over hard ground daily. So I've come to think that long nails are normal in leopard tortoises.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I placed some regular tiles in the enclosure and place them up side down, that can help a lot for their long nail.