How much to feed leopard tortoise

Cedricthetort

Location (City and/or State)
Creekmoor, UK
Hello, kinda new to the whole tortoise thing! Cedric my leopard tortoise is 2.5 years old, at the moment we feed him around a large handful of food every morning. He use to slowly eat this throughout the day, sometimes having bits left. Recently he has been eating this amount within hours of it being in his bowl. Just wondering if we put more food down could we over feed him? Or if he's eating it so quick does this mean he needs more food throughout the day?

Second question, we have just starting growing peppers and tomatoes in the garden, can he eat the leaves off these plants as we trim them down?

Thank you in advance. Picture of Cedric enjoying the sun we have been having at the moment :)

IMG_20200404_151045.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Tortoises are grazers. They should be fed as much as they want to eat of the right foods.

Tomato leaves are toxic, but I don't know about the pepper leaves. I think those little white flowers are daisies? I could be wrong, but if not, those are toxic too.

Here is all the care info with a whole section on diet.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I feed my leopard 2 to 3 handfuls of food a day. If he eats it all , I add more food.

haydog_99

Rocklin, CA
I let mine eat as much as he wants. Mine usually doesn’t eat the entire handful of greens I give him.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Hello and welcome.

Tortoises are grazers. They should be fed as much as they want to eat of the right foods.

Tomato leaves are toxic, but I don't know about the pepper leaves. I think those little white flowers are daisies? I could be wrong, but if not, those are toxic too.

Here is all the care info with a whole section on diet.
I'm pretty sure those pepper leaves are toxic as well

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
From The Tort Table...regarding Pepper leaves ❌❌

• Common Name: Sweet Pepper (Green Pepper, Pepper, Capsicum, Bell Pepper)
  • Latin Name: Capsicum spp.
  • Family Name: Solanaceae
This plant comes from the same family as tomatoes, potatoes, tobacco and the nightshades, and although the pepper itself is not actually toxic to tortoises (and a small amount will not harm them), the leaves, stem and roots are toxic and should not be fed.

The pepper does not have a good calcium to phosphorous ratio (it is 1:2.1) and the ripened pepper can be too high in sugars for most tortoises (although it can be fed sparingly to fruit-eating species).