Fir Bark

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My tortoise partner, William, was here this weekend winterizing my tortoises. And in doing so he had to make a new spot for three non hibernating almost full grown tortoises.

I had several cinderblock enclosures on the carport and he proceeded to make one large one out of two. We had all the necessary accoutrements, lights, RHPs, feeding tiles, waterer, but no substrate.

William got out his fancy smart phone and looked up nurseries, and the first one he called sold bulk, small particle fir bark! 3cu yards for $50! So he took my truck and went and got us some. He unloaded it onto a tarp that's large enough to cover it and now I have substrate, substrate, substrate!!!

So if you're lookin' for fir bark, give your local nurseries a call .

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm trying to visualize just how much that is. Pictures?

27 cubic feet equal 1 cu yard. So you just bought 40.5 of my $12 (or $486 worth) bags for $50. I'd say that is an amazing savings!

Took me another minute to do the math, but if you were buying Reptibark at the store at a price of $18.09 for a 24 quart bag, which is the cheapest I've seen it not counting tax or shipping, you just got $1,827.09 worth for 50 bucks. Wow. That is an amazing deal.

I might have to stop by that place on my next trip up that way. I'd be set for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm trying to visualize just how much that is. Pictures?

27 cubic feet equal 1 cu yard. So you just bought 40.5 of my $12 (or $486 worth) bags for $50. I'd say that is an amazing savings!

Took me another minute to do the math, but if you were buying Reptibark at the store at a price of $18.09 for a 24 quart bag, which is the cheapest I've seen it not counting tax or shipping, you just got $1,827.09 worth for 50 bucks. Wow. That is an amazing deal.

I might have to stop by that place on my next trip up that way. I'd be set for years.
No, I didn't think to get a picture. It was about as much as a small front loader would hold. If it were flattened and raked smooth it would have been not quite half a full size truck's short bed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I misspoke - it was one cubic yard.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I misspoke - it was one cubic yard.
Ok. Divide my numbers by three. Still a great deal.

You got 13.5 of my bags which would have cost $162 plus tax. 70% less than what I pay for bulk bags.
You got the equivalent of $609.03 of Reptbark. 92% less than Pet store prices.

Thanks for the tip and info!