Fire ants in enclosure

DoctorPotterWho

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I read on this forum, an older thread, that it was safe to use this stuff https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JG77IUI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 around the outdoor enclosure, but it looks like that only kills common household ants. We have vicious demon spawn fire ants. They seek and destroy. I've been searching for their mound, but can't find one anywhere. Are those bates good on fire ants? I want them to suffer. Joking, but not joking.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
for ants I use dichotomous Earth it's good for anything with an exoskeleton basically

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
D/A wont be effective here in south Florida because it rains every day right now.
I treat my yard with fire ant granules and treat the enclosure itself with ant bait/poison inside glass mayonaise jars with small holes drilled in the tops and hidden inside the pen. These are water resistant and can't harm the tortoises.
After a few months, I was able to make my entire yard fire ant free.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
D/A wont be effective here in south Florida because it rains every day right now.
I treat my yard with fire ant granules and treat the enclosure itself with ant bait/poison inside glass mayonaise jars with small holes drilled in the tops and hidden inside the pen. These are water resistant and can't harm the tortoises.
After a few months, I was able to make my entire yard fire ant free.

That's a great idea!!!!

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Hope you can get rid of those devils , they are the one thing I do NOT miss about Florida ! Kill them slowly so they suffer !
t1411.gif

klawran1

5 Year Member
Acworth, GA
Glad I found this. I'm having the same issue in my Russian's pen. They don't seem to be bothering him, but I'm pretty sick of getting bitten when I go in there and it wouldn't surprise me if he has been bitten also. They must go immediately.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
Today I poured boiling water on the small mound they were starting. I also used a bait on the outside of the enclosure. I am going to get some solid bates and do the mayonnaise jar trick with the holes up top like @ZEROPILOT suggested and hopefully we will be fine and dandy.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
Well it worked. I baited around the outdoor enclosure Dumped boiling water on those suckers and drowned out the mound as well. Not an ant in sight today. :tort::p

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Well it worked. I baited around the outdoor enclosure Dumped boiling water on those suckers and drowned out the mound as well. Not an ant in sight today. :tort::p
It's easier to keep them from establishing a territory than to get rid of them once they have.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
good news but it's a very long hard battle your going to fight.

DoctorPotterWho

Florida
good news but it's a very long hard battle your going to fight.

Thank you! I just did the bait in the mason jar inside the enclosure. My neighbor said we can sync up with baiting the yards so that the ants don't just move to their yard and then come to mine when they treat. ;)