Fires, Smoke & Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

longbeachskunk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach Ca.
Good Morning everyone. During the weekend all the smoke and ash from the firestorms was blowing into Long Beach. The air quality was so hazardous we brought our DT's inside so they wouldn't inhale all that bad air and ash that was almost an inch thick on the ground. Well, now that we brought them in they are totally hibernating in my closet. There usual hibernation date begins the day after Thanksgiving. Should I just let them be? Or can I bring them back outside for them to enjoy the next few sunny days before turkey day?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry, Longbeachskunk: Speaking for myself, I will only answer the posts where I am sure that I KNOW the answer. My best guess is: No one takes the wild tortoise inside the house when the desert burns. They go deep inside their burrow and stay there until its safe to come out. Also, a tortoise usually doesn't know when it gets to be Thanksgiving. They go into hibernation when they feel the time is right. So I think your tortoises are telling you that their time is right.

YVonne

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i agree with yvonne, i would just let your tortoise continue to snooze. no harm in letting him do whatever comes naturally.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Were they ready? Did they stop eating? or did they have a gut full of food? Good soak?
If they ahve been eating and not given a time to slow down.. they might have an issue..
You know them best. What do you think?

chelonologist

10 Year Member!
Redlands, California
Adult desert tortoises in the wild have been down for weeks now, so it wouldn't be considered unusual for yours to go inactive at this time. Also, don't be afraid to move them back outside once the weather improves - it won't disrupt their cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.