First day with timers

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I broke down and got some timers for my lights for my tortoise and Boxturtle enclosures. It is great, why did I wait so long? I just got the GE mechanical dial timers. I plugged all the lights into a power strip in the power strip into the timer.so if anybody out there was hesitant like I was I say go for it.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It's kinda scary. My outdoor pen dog house has a heater/lamp on a timer. I've been watching it VERY carefully!
Yes, I do find myself watching it very carefully. I will definitely monitor it.but in a couple days I will probably call him down and it will be as convenient as it is meant to be.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It IS convenient, however, I always used to use the turning on and off lights thing as a time to double check on the tortoises. I imagine if you only have one it's easy, but I have 7 areas with timers. So now I walk around at night closing the doors and checking on the tortoises, but I don't have to turn off the lights. What's the big deal? It would be just as easy to walk around, check the tortoise, turn off the light, then close the door. Of course, it makes it easier on whoever is coming over to care for them in my absence to have them all on timers, but, as you all know, I live in a cave (sometimes under a bridge) and I never go anyplace, so timers really don't do all that much for me.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
It IS convenient, however, I always used to use the turning on and off lights thing as a time to double check on the tortoises. I imagine if you only have one it's easy, but I have 7 areas with timers. So now I walk around at night closing the doors and checking on the tortoises, but I don't have to turn off the lights. What's the big deal? It would be just as easy to walk around, check the tortoise, turn off the light, then close the door. Of course, it makes it easier on whoever is coming over to care for them in my absence to have them all on timers, but, as you all know, I live in a cave (sometimes under a bridge) and I never go anyplace, so timers really don't do all that much for me.
Yeah I know what you mean about them not really be necessary. They are a nice convenience however for me because I am not always great about watching the clock and doing things the exact same time every day.I always check and feed my tortoise and Boxturtle in the morning and then check on them after work and in the evening to at the least. if I had more than two enclosures I probably would have done this a lot earlier :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I like my timers because I can set them to come on before I wake up.
Often the tortoises area awake when I get up, so I can check/soak/feed (whatever needs to be done) before I go to work.
But it is important to check on the tortoises too!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The timer that I do use is almost necessary. I have a heater in a dog house and have the plug, timer, everything inside the roof to keep it all dry. The waterproof outlet that feeds it is spliced into my rear bathroom wiring and has no switch. Currently it's only on for 5 hours a night. My tortoise is getting used to it.

M

Maggie Cummings

Shoot....I have 3 timers in Bob's shed alone. I'm not gonna go running out there in the snow every morning at 7 to turn on his stuff...I even have one in my cactus winter greenhouse thingy in my shed...

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
It's kinda scary. My outdoor pen dog house has a heater/lamp on a timer. I've been watching it VERY carefully!

You should put the heater on a thermostat, not a timer. The heater should be regulated by the temp of his house and out the light on the timer.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I've had times for most of the duration of keeping turtles, and of course mr russian had to have one too, they are just soooo convenient! My memory stinks, and I would always forget to turn on the lights until a hour or more than day before, and I couldn't have that! Everyone is on a MUCH better schedule now!