First Hibernation

nikitab

Hi all, this will be the second year I’ve had my tortoise and I’m thinking of trying hibernation this winter but I’m unsure on how to start it and really when and what do to begin it.
Minty is only small and is around 3 years old.

Any advice and hints will be greatly appreciated

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well don’t forget there is no rule that you have to hibernate your tort . And it can be dangerous to a torts life . But you do what you feel is best for your tort .

nikitab

I’m not sure actually I will weigh him and if he’s under that I will wait until next year :) thank you both

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I’m not sure actually I will weigh him and if he’s under that I will wait until next year :) thank you both
You must be aware of your tort's weight for hibernation. You need to know that your tort has put on enough weight through the summer to survive hibernation. You should be weighing your tort every 2-3 weeks. Do so at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency - straight after a a soak is good. Be aware that a pee or poop can make a massive weight difference in a small tort, so don't get too hung up on variations of a few grammes

nikitab

I live in the north easy of the UK, I don’t know that’s why I was asking for some hints and advice on what is best

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I live in the north easy of the UK, I don’t know that’s why I was asking for some hints and advice on what is best

I am in the south east UK. Don’t hibernate outside.

Hibernation location must be safe from rodents, dry, never go below zero and never above 10C... ideally steady around 5C

Where you are, you may be able to achieve that in a garage or shed... we used to be able to do it, but resorted to a fridge (just for Joe - not the food fridge) in the end