First post/Sulcata concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puget Sound
Hi; glad to find you. My son's GF left a baby sulcata tortoise here 2 years ago. Its enclosure was so filthy that its plastron was caked with poop and had a soft spot that felt like chewing gum. I told her I'd take care of the little guy, and I have. I've done a lot of research and have given my best effort at properly caring for and feeding him. Now she wants him back.

My concerns:
1) I'm afraid to give him back because she might kill him with neglect.
2) He's only 10-11 inches long and 7.5 pounds at 3 years old, which seems small according to what I've read. Am I doing something wrong or was it his early neglect? (I'll go read the Sulcata section.)
3) The prospect of an eventual 150-pound battering ram roaming my small yard is daunting.
neenyo.jpg

Neenyo wearing his tortoise locating device.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! In the two years you have had him, as she been active in his care in any way? Paying you for his food? Visiting him? Anything or is this out of the blue? Is she set up for him, as in does she have a yard set up and ready for him?

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
She's visited but hasn't done much for him or interacted with him. I think she wants him back because son is in a new relationship and she's mad. But no - she isn't set up for him at all, and she lives in an apartment.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Ahhh they have broken up and now she suddenly wants him. That and the rest of your answer, especially the fact she doesn't have a place for him, the answer if I were in your shoes would be, "Sorry, he is staying with me." Just does not sound like she has the tortoise's best interests at heart.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
That's what I thought, but she's calling me a thief.
I'm trying to concentrate on what is best for Neenyo, which is why I joined this forum. I just learned that he needs more moisture; oh nos! His enclosure is pretty dry, but he always has water available to him, and I do soak him at least once a week, usually more.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If you're not worried about cutting ties with your sons ex-girlfriend, I would suggest being upfront with her. Tell her, you don't think that she would care for the tortoise properly, you've had it for two years and you feel it is in the best interest of the tortoise to remain where he is.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She can call you what she wants, but fact is she gave you the animal and then has not paid for any of it's care correct? You have had it in your possession for two years. Legally that makes you the owner of the animal.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I agree with the above. The tortoise is yours. Sounds she is not equipped to care for a tortoise at all. How old is this delightful child anyway?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I feel giving him back would be animal neglect on your part now, because you knowingly gave him to someone that can not take care of him properly. You don't want that on your mind. Second, you have housed, fed, got him back on a better track for the last two years. He's yours. If you want to shut her up, tell her it will cost oh, I don't know, $500.00 per year at least for care and food, electricity etc. If you don't want to keep it, don't give it to her, surrender it to a tortoise rescue or adopt it out. Oh and no, you are not a thief. Your a generous animal lover. Stick to your guns for the poor tort.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
Which delightful child? Neenyo? He's 3.
mysnack.jpg

haha; he thinks my snack looks very good

(P.S: He was already pyramiding when I got him.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kenazfehu:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

I also vote for you to keep the tortoise. If you are the least worried about it, see if you can find a lawyer that is willing to let you ask him the question without charging you an arm and a leg. I don't think she has a legal leg.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think he was being sarcastic with the term delightful and was referring to your son's ex-gf... of course I could be wrong and often am. :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Jacqui's right! lol, I was sarcastically referring to the ex-gf. Just curious on the age and guestimated maturity of the girl.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
Child ........ yes, good one.
She's 27 or 28, I think.

Thank you for the feedback, oh experienced ones.

Oh, and I am in NW Washington state where it's still rainy and cool. I've only had 4 days so far this year when it was good to take Neenyo outside. I know he needs a lot more sunlight than that! Heck - I need a lot more sunlight than that.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
It sounds like you should keep Neenyo. If the picture is showing some of your yard, it looks really nice. I really hope that she can understand that you want to give him the best care. Good luck and don't give up!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like Neal's suggestion of just leveling with her. You could also offer to reimburse her for the original purchase price of the tortoise. Then you wouldn't be a "thief". Right after you pay her that money, you could hand her a bill for three years of electricity, food, supplies, cage space rental, and your time caring for him...

Let's be realistic. This is your tortoise. It has been since she dropped it in your lap and walked away.

Moisture and humidity doesn't matter much at three years old. That is more for babies in their first year or so. No harm in the occasional soak to keep him hydrated.

... and hello and welcome too. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
can she Prove it was hers to begin with?
If it was a horse and she couldnt afford a stable, she couldn't keep it her apt and give it quality.. same here..
however,, that pic with the large dog is a bit worriesome.. I would keep them seperate, no matter how well they get along.
your yard looks like a nice home for a sulcata... now you just need to prepare a heated outdoor enclosure for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.