First Table.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alright well i plan to get a russian maybe around the time of christmas, and i want to build a table thats about 4' by 2.5', i already have a place for him untill one is done but it would be nice to be able to get a general total cost for a table overall.....
What kind of wood do you use, Plywood?
i plan on making the base, and top out of 2x4's with screen around the top of it.
What kind of stain, or sealer do you use?
how many coats?
what woods to avoid?
would it be safe to put a layer of plastic at the bottom and up the sides?
how high should sides be?
what kind/how deep substrate?
Thanks for advice :D

anyone have designs that people can follow?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
no pine, no cedar, stick to the hardwoods. Like oak.

use a water based sealant.

You also really don't want to use a screen...or make sure that
it doesn't go infront of your UVB bulb...it filters out the rays.

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
so lots of people use plywood? at least in pictures ive seen....
and the screen will be over the light, like over the top of everything, if all goes well.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Go thru some back "enclosure" threads & you will get lots of ideas.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
JNorm said:
Alright well i plan to get a russian maybe around the time of christmas, and i want to build a table thats about 4' by 2.5', i already have a place for him untill one is done but it would be nice to be able to get a general total cost for a table overall.....
What kind of wood do you use, Plywood?
i plan on making the base, and top out of 2x4's with screen around the top of it.
What kind of stain, or sealer do you use?
how many coats?
what woods to avoid?
would it be safe to put a layer of plastic at the bottom and up the sides?
how high should sides be?
what kind/how deep substrate?
Thanks for advice :D

anyone have designs that people can follow?

Hello
I used Aspen wood, I used a waterbased polyurethane (hmm I am not sure but I think I put 4 or 5 coats), I put laminate at the bottom and on the 4 sides of the enclosure (I used Acqurium non toxic sillicone as a glue). Since my Hermann tortoise is a baby, the substrate is 4" deep (Aspen). The sides are 16" high (12" because 4" is for the substrate).
Good luck :)

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yeah ive looked thru alot of old threads and found some designs i like. I want somthing thats not too expensive, but looks good at the same time since in like 2 years ill be living in a apartment....
So would 4'x2.5' be enough space for a russian. While im still living here he will(hopefully) still have an outdoor enclosure in the hot summer months.
thanks everyone for the advice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never tried it, but one of the ideas that I really like is the book case idea. You get an old 4 or 5 shelf wooden book case, either new or from a yard sale, remove the shelves and lay the case on its back. Line it with some sort of plastic sheeting, add substrate lights and tortoise! Voila!! almost instant habitat!

Yvonne

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah i thought about that cus you can get bookshelves cheap at yard sales or walmart, but you would still have to build a bottom to it cus that cardboard bottom would not hold up substrate very well, none the less rocks and such its usually just cardboard. And i would have to build a stand for it, i dont want it on the ground.
Then a top to prevent cats from getting in.
im thinking 1/2" plywood, with a water based sealer, but most plywood i see is pine which everyone says not to use....
But with a 2x4 base and top it would work, just be huge....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
JNorm said:
im thinking 1/2" plywood, with a water based sealer, but most plywood i see is pine which everyone says not to use....
But with a 2x4 base and top it would work, just be huge....

I'm not in the lumber business, and not into woodworking, but I THINK that lumber is dried before you buy it, so the harmful oils in the pine would not be so bad. I buy the cheapest wood I can buy for my tortoise houses, plywood or lumber, and I'm sure I must be buying Doug. fir and pine. When you use pine chips as substrate, that's bad! But when you use fir or pine as the house or habitat, not so bad.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I have used plywood for my tort table I use water based polyurithan and seal it 4-5 coats. then when all is dry and no smell I line it with plastic. It is the heat reacting to the oils that is bad. Seal, and cover in plastic and I have had no problems. If you want you can also go to Wal-Mart soon, they carry the large Christmas tree totes. They are made of plastic and 4+ feet long and about 2+ wide http://www.stacksandstacks.com/extra-large-storage-box-with-snap-down-lid-iris-251019/255/10201/ or use a Galvanized tub like in this link http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-2095.html then all you would have to do is build the base and it wouldn't matter what you used. :)

JNorm

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
yeah im prolly gonna use just basic plywood and seal it with like 5 coats. I realized somthing today though, i have a old entertainment center, its about 5 feet tall, 2.5 feet wide and 15" deep. If i put it on its back and remove all the shelves and stuff it would make a perfect table, just gotta build a stand for it..... Im wonding however, on parts of it the paint is chipping off, its some sort of old black paint. So far its only on the shelves, not the base itself.
anyway, would it be safe just to water seal it anyway?
i dont want to risk anything.....

But i can put a plywood back on it and its basically done, yay.
has anyone ever used shelves and such for a table?

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
crazy1, do you think with those christmas tree containers should you buy 2 and cut on of the sides on each container and combine them together or just go with a bookcase for 3 sulcatas?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I would make sure there is no pealing paint and then seal it with polyurethane.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah! What a good idea! You can use the removed shelves to build a little stand to get it up off the floor. You might have to buy a couple sturdy pieces of lumber to nail the shelves to, but a lot cheaper than having to buy the whole schmear.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Depending on the size of your sullys. I would say go with what you have. It will be cheaper in the long run. Though torts grow rather slow I am sure your 3 sullys will outgrow whatever you build for them in no time. :p

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...When you make your stand for the table, you might want to put wheels on it so it is easier to move around. Also makes it easier to get it outside onto a deck or whatever when the weather is nice. I got my wheels...that swivel... at Walmart for about $2 each. Also, my husband made my screen covers with wire from Home Depot that has 1/2" square holes so the light gets thru it better. He used 1" x 1" pieces of pine and stapled the wire to it. It is sturdy enough to withstand curious cats.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.