First time hibernation

Darwin2016

Location (City and/or State)
Peterborough
Hi!
We have a Hermanns tortoise which is nearly 5 years old and we will be hibernating him forever the first time this year. From the research I have done it sounds like the fridge method is the best and I understand for the first year we should look to hibernate for 3-4 weeks.

what month is it best to do it in? We are away for a week over new year so we will get a friend to look after him while we are away but I want to make it as easy to look after him as possible. So is it best to put him into hibernation before we go away so they are looking after a hibernating tortoise or to wait until we get back and start the process of reducing the food the first week in January

thanks for any help and advice!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi!
We have a Hermanns tortoise which is nearly 5 years old and we will be hibernating him forever the first time this year. From the research I have done it sounds like the fridge method is the best and I understand for the first year we should look to hibernate for 3-4 weeks.

what month is it best to do it in? We are away for a week over new year so we will get a friend to look after him while we are away but I want to make it as easy to look after him as possible. So is it best to put him into hibernation before we go away so they are looking after a hibernating tortoise or to wait until we get back and start the process of reducing the food the first week in January

thanks for any help and advice!
Hello and welcome.

I touch on it here:

Much more in depth explanation here in post number 19: