First time leopard owner.

tmaxxnut

Hi, my name is Mark and I'm from Northern Kentucky. I am expecting my new arrival tomorrow morning and can't wait. I have had reptiles for many years but am a first time tortoise owner. I spent the weekend constructing a table and would like some feedback on anything I should change or add. I will also be adding a outside area and would like to know if it's ok to move them back and forth?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Can't help you without pictures sorry .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I can only tell you without a pic that open top tables won't work. Leopards need a high humidity to grow healthy and smooth. Please read Toms threads below in my post for the explaining of what you will need to do. The sulcata threads will also apply to your leopard.

tmaxxnut

That sucks because the stuff I was reading said don't use aquariums because the humidity would be too high.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
That sucks because the stuff I was reading said don't use aquariums because the humidity would be too high.

Old information says humidity is a bad enemy and keeping them dry is good.

Unfortunately, many babies died from being too dry and the ones that survived grew with pyramided shells.
Many of us have spent the last few years trying a different method. We started using a set up that would mimic the hot and humid African rainy season these guys naturally hatch into in the wild.
Some of us do things slightly different but they all consist of damp earthy substrate, daily soaks and moderate to high humidity.

Read more about it in our Leopard section. When you see the results you'll start to be amazed.
Who knew copying the natural environment would lead to natural looking shells ;)

Glad you are here. You put so much work into that table that I'm sure you'll try to do right by your new little one.
:)

tmaxxnut

That's why I did research. I wanted to do it the right way. Just sounds like the table well be for my next addition. One that need dry low humidity enclose. They may need to stay in this one until next weekend when I can work out a more sudible home. Glad I found this forum.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes. Glad that you are here. Listen to Heather, Her suggestion are our practice now. We all have healthy baby Leopard tortoise.

Welcome.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It's possible to make a top for that table. It can be as simple and ugly as pvc framing with a shower curtain cover...or you can use plexiglass or something similar to make a beautiful top half.

If you'll use the table until modifications can be made, ditch the hay, carpet and other substrates. Fill it all with a nice earthy type substrate (soil, coco coir, orchid bark) that you can keep damp. Add some plants for decoration, environmental stimulation and hiding spots. Monitor your temps and soak the baby daily.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mark, and welcome to the Forum!

I use an open-top table for raising some baby leopards, some Manouria babies and a couple of yellowfoot babies. It works ok if you keep the substrate pretty wet. Then I pack the hiding place with moist sphagnum moss. My leopard babies are now about 4 years old, living outside, and are just as smooth as can be. The trick is to provide the moist hiding place, as they spend 90% of their time hiding.

One suggestion for your table - put up a railing along the edge of the ramp. Babies seem to have a death wish and will jump off above-the-ground places only to land on their back and not be able to turn over.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome. Glad you found this forum. I have a table like yours and was able to cover it and get my humidity up nicely.

Alaskamike

South Florida
Hello. It looks like you spent allot of time and did a very nice job constructing that tort table. I think if you read as much as you can here about different ways folks have made their environments you will find a way of modifying yours to provide humid places and hides. Plexiglas is very versatile, is easy to cut, and can help.
A digital temp / humidity gauge can be bought in Wallmart, and are pretty cheap.
There is no ONE way to do this, but many ways to achieve the same thing.
It is clear you care allot about providing a quality environment for your new baby

verda

5 Year Member
Texas
Welcome and grats on your new baby ^_^