First time Tortoise owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vniles

5 Year Member
Hi all;

I just got my first tortoise; a russian tortoise. His name is Gus Gus. Not sure of his exact age, between 6 months to a year they guessed... I am learning a lot already, but would love to know more! About environment, how often he should get out to roam, if its normal for them to shrink into their shell and kind of hiss at ya when you pick em up.... is it normal for them not to eat or go in their soaking tub for the first 24 hours in their new home? Lots of questions :)

Attachments

• 1120111515_01.jpg
    1120111515_01.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 40

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. at first tortoises in a new environment may hide.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your new tort!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi vniles:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

I think your tortoise is quite a bit older than you've been told. He's more likely 10 or 11 years old. Also, his body has done a lot of growing, while his shell has not grown as fast. It will be in his best interest to get him on a good diet and under the UVB light with plenty of calcium.

Yes, most tortoises "hiss" when they pull into their shells. Its really the air being forced out of their lungs as they quickly pull in.

Most new tortoises take a couple weeks to get used to their new environment. In the wild (and I'm pretty sure yours is wild caught), they have territories that they roam. They normally come back to the same resting spot after they've eaten. So being put into a new territory, stresses them out, as they don't know their way around or who might be in this new territory to hurt them.

Continue to offer him dark, leafy greens and fresh water. Once he becomes accustomed to his new environment, he'll be calmer and more friendly.

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
A little advice... Don't pick him up!!! Let him be for a couple days just watch him!!! I know it's hard not to pick them up but let him get used to his new casa!!! Only pick him up to soak him!!! Put some some fresh dark greens and eventually he will eat it. might take a couple days but he will get used to you!!! Be patient and he eventually will love you!!!

O and Welcome to the Forum!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D Great pics of Gus Gus....some legs going on there....I agree on you needing to get his shell growth to catch up with the rest of him..... He is adorable for sure :D

Status
Not open for further replies.