First Winter Coming With Hatchling - Enclosure Help

Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hi Everyone,

I've had my eastern hermanns hatchling for about 4 months. I live in the Northeast in PA. The nights and days are frigid here in the winter, single digit temps sometimes and negatives. During the day his basking bulb seems to heat up the whole enclosure, but at night it's colder now. I have a CHE at night but I dont think that will be enough in the winter? I put the heat on in my house but it still stays semi cold.

Tips on how to keep this baby extra warm in the winter? I added pics of the current enclosure ......

e_1.jpge_2.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Where's his humid (or not humid) hide. They go into their 'hide' to decompress or to sleep. You will not be able to keep that open top warm enough. You need to close off the top and have a CHE on 24/7. At least, that's what I would do...

Domm

PA
Hello, he has two hides in there, the black one has semi damp moss in it under the light to stay humid and warm........ the other hide is under the wood bridge its a dome and he mostly sleeps in there.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Plenty of time before Winter comes here to the North East to work on a fully enclosed nice warm enclosure. If you work on adding a lid, coupled with maybe a CHE on the far left, a CHE on the far right. Maybe 150 W CHEs, tied to A 24\7 thermostat set to the proper temp. Add in a basking light and u are good to go. The trick is to start now. Get things ordered, set things up, get your lid, lights, CHEs, thermostat all in place and working now.

The trick is using a LID and a thermostat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Everyone,

I've had my eastern hermanns hatchling for about 4 months. I live in the Northeast in PA. The nights and days are frigid here in the winter, single digit temps sometimes and negatives. During the day his basking bulb seems to heat up the whole enclosure, but at night it's colder now. I have a CHE at night but I dont think that will be enough in the winter? I put the heat on in my house but it still stays semi cold.

Tips on how to keep this baby extra warm in the winter? I added pics of the current enclosure ......
Hi. You need a large closed chamber. This will make it very easy to maintain the correct warmth and growing conditions.

Read this:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello, he has two hides in there, the black one has semi damp moss in it under the light to stay humid and warm........ the other hide is under the wood bridge its a dome and he mostly sleeps in there.
Oh gosh! Right under my nose, sorry! Here is a quick shot of a tort table with 2 lids and a plexiglass front for viewing...I keep box turtles in there now. One CHE kept the ambien temp at 85 or 90.
100_2890.JPG