Fish Friends?

NewtThePinkbelly

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hey there! My turtle is still a little hatching, but I read on a lot of forums and websites that they might have fun chasing fish around. My question is, what kind of fish are appropriate for him? I know he is a baby and I don't want him to choke if he attempts to eat the fish, so I'm not sure if I should get slightly larger fish (so he doesn't attempt to swallow them whole, assuming that my turtle knows better than that) or smaller fish (so that in the case that he does catch one, he doesn't choke). Whichever one, what kind of fish would be appropriate for a baby turtle to play with? Also, let me know if he is better off without fish at all. Totally understandable! I just don't want him to get bored, despite all the plants and things in his tank.
Thank you!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hey there! My turtle is still a little hatching, but I read on a lot of forums and websites that they might have fun chasing fish around. My question is, what kind of fish are appropriate for him? I know he is a baby and I don't want him to choke if he attempts to eat the fish, so I'm not sure if I should get slightly larger fish (so he doesn't attempt to swallow them whole, assuming that my turtle knows better than that) or smaller fish (so that in the case that he does catch one, he doesn't choke). Whichever one, what kind of fish would be appropriate for a baby turtle to play with? Also, let me know if he is better off without fish at all. Totally understandable! I just don't want him to get bored, despite all the plants and things in his tank.
Thank you!

Another thing to remember about adding fish to the tank is that they are more sensitive to poor water quality than the turtles are. If you're a little careless about the weekly tank cleaning and water changes (like me!) the fish could get sick. But I think fish add enrichment to the turtles' environment, and I often keep fish with mine.

I currently have Cory catfish and guppies in the 20 gallon tank with my baby Razor-Backed Musk turtle.
I will probably add some ghost shrimp, too since they're inexpensive, interesting to watch, can end up as food or not. They DO make it a little more difficult to clean the tank, but only because I try not to suck them up in the siphon when doing the water change and they can be really hard to see when the water is stirred up or cloudy.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Another thing to remember about adding fish to the tank is that they are more sensitive to poor water quality than the turtles are. If you're a little careless about the weekly tank cleaning and water changes (like me!) the fish could get sick. But I think fish add enrichment to the turtles' environment, and I often keep fish with mine.

I currently have Cory catfish and guppies in the 20 gallon tank with my baby Razor-Backed Musk turtle.
I will probably add some ghost shrimp, too since they're inexpensive, interesting to watch, can end up as food or not. They DO make it a little more difficult to clean the tank, but only because I try not to suck them up in the siphon when doing the water change and they can be really hard to see when the water is stirred up or cloudy.
Shrimps can help clean the tank aswell and eat turtle waste, that’s 1 plus side I guess:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Avoid gold fish from the pet stores as they use chemicals to Rapid grow them. Minnows from a bait shop R an ideal choice. After 30 plus years I have never seen a turtle choke on a fiah :) whatever they don't swallow they tear to pieces with their claws. I have often used something called Seafood medley. It is sold in Asian and Hispanic supermarkets and is used for making bouillabaisse it is just cut pieces of fish and octopi and various other Seafood, Turtles love it