Flaky Scutes on Plastron?

Bethany Douglass

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte, North Caroline
Hi guys! I was holding up my little Hermann's tort today and noticed some flaking on the bottom of his shell. I haven't noticed it before, but I don't believe it's recent.. there isn't anything in his enclosure that could have scraped it onand he gets proper UVB and calcium. Any ideas what could cause this and how to fix it? He has a follow up vet visit (for some digestive issues) next week but I wasn't sure if there was anything I should do in the meantime! I am attaching a picture of the flaking to this post! Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_5871.JPG
    IMG_5871.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 48

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What was the source of this tortoise and how long have you had it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have had him for just over a month, and he was supplied to me from a reputable breeder. I believe he lived in a large outdoor enclosure before coming to me.

Just going by the one picture, that looks like the type of chipping and wear a person would see on a WC tortoise.

Bethany Douglass

Just going by the one picture, that looks like the type of chipping and wear a person would see on a WC tortoise.

I am 99.9% sure he is CB. The breeder does allow his tortoises to remain outdoors in natural enclosures year round though, so is it possible he got this wear from being in a more natural/uncontrolled habitat?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am 99.9% sure he is CB. The breeder does allow his tortoises to remain outdoors in natural enclosures year round though, so is it possible he got this wear from being in a more natural/uncontrolled habitat?

Possible? Yes, but its pretty unusual to see that sort of wear on a CB animal. All of my adult tortoises live outside on rough rocky terrain and none of them show that kind of wear. But if you go to Petco and look at their russian plastrons, you might see that sort of wear and tear.

In any case, if the conditions are correct for your species, I don't know what you can do about it at this point. Looks like previous damage. Did this tortoise have a heat mat or live in swampy conditions? I'm guessing at what could have caused damage like that in a captive tortoise. Are there corresponding marks on the carapace, which would indicate and animal attack?

Bethany Douglass

Possible? Yes, but its pretty unusual to see that sort of wear on a CB animal. All of my adult tortoises live outside on rough rocky terrain and none of them show that kind of wear. But if you go to Petco and look at their russian plastrons, you might see that sort of wear and tear.

In any case, if the conditions are correct for your species, I don't know what you can do about it at this point. Looks like previous damage. Did this tortoise have a heat mat or live in swampy conditions? I'm guessing at what could have caused damage like that in a captive tortoise. Are there corresponding marks on the carapace, which would indicate and animal attack?

He doesn't have corresponding marks on his carapace no. Do you think this is causing him pain? I will be sure to ask the vet when I see her next week, although she didn't notice it last time we were there... i haven't had him on a heat mat, and his enclosure is at 70% humidity with slightly damp soil from time to time as I spray or his water dish gets tipped over but I wouldn't say it is swampy by any means. If he is WC, that is upsetting, but I know that the breeder I got him from is well known and respected in the community so I would hope he wouldn't be selling WC tortoises :/ I just want to do what is best for my tortoise and not cause further harm.

Last edited:

Frogg.Queen

Oahu, HI
I'm not sure how old your tortoise is, but based on the way the scutes look, it may be shell shed?
I'm not 100% sure about this, this is just a guess from my perspective, but I would do some research about tortoises and turtles shedding their shells to see if it may be the case.
Shell shedding is usually common in tortoise growth.