Flavomarginata

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Measurements are due in October! Slacker....... ;-)

For you!

I got mine initially in November, so that was my first set of measurements. My second set was admittedly two weeks behind. This is their third set of measurements, so one year later ;).

Turtlepete

South Florida
Hahaha.... I bet he gets mad at you for slacking, though :)

Nah. I was initially two weeks late but he never was bothered about it. I feel like you might be referring to the list of people's names he keeps sending out who haven't sent measurements yet...? No idea why my name keeps ending up on there, as I've emailed to confirm with him twice now that he received my measurements, which he says he has, but then forgets to take my name off the list, so I guess I get associated with the bad guys.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Haha, no, I didn't even see you on the list. I was just making a blanket joke about those emails in general. I feel bad for him, cause I know hes busy, but he has to chase people. Everyone is interested when cheap turtles are available, but no one is around in a year or two to keep doing what the agreed to.. it stinks since this type of project can go a long way in giving private hobbyists a good name in Conservation... or not.. I know your one of the good guys, though :)

Great photos Charlie.

Turtlepete

South Florida
Haha, no, I didn't even see you on the list. I was just making a blanket joke about those emails in general. I feel bad for him, cause I know hes busy, but he has to chase people. Everyone is interested when cheap turtles are available, but no one is around in a year or two to keep doing what the agreed to.. it stinks since this type of project can go a long way in giving private hobbyists a good name in Conservation... or not.. I know your one of the good guys, though :)

It is indeed sad. I always thought that conservation organizations such as the TSA should take more advantage of all the free facilities of interest hobbyists. Now I see why they don't quite so much. The TMG is a brilliant idea, but one I do not see working out the way it is intended too. A sizable portion of the participants can't commit to sending back measurements once every 6 months. How many will send back their offspring in 8 years?

At the very least, the collective captive population of C. flavomarginata is increasing in captivity yearly, so we have "assurance colonies" spread among many hobbyists who will hopefully care for, reproduce and manage them properly. The end-goal of most conservation should be re-introduction though, and I'm skeptical about how successful the TMG will be at that goal.

MyersTortoise

Petersburg, VA
It is indeed sad. I always thought that conservation organizations such as the TSA should take more advantage of all the free facilities of interest hobbyists. Now I see why they don't quite so much. The TMG is a brilliant idea, but one I do not see working out the way it is intended too. A sizable portion of the participants can't commit to sending back measurements once every 6 months. How many will send back their offspring in 8 years?

At the very least, the collective captive population of C. flavomarginata is increasing in captivity yearly, so we have "assurance colonies" spread among many hobbyists who will hopefully care for, reproduce and manage them properly. The end-goal of most conservation should be re-introduction though, and I'm skeptical about how successful the TMG will be at that goal.
I am one of those hobbyists starting a Flavo colony. I have a pair and I plan to add two more this year. I am still a couple years away from breeding though.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Hey Charlie, out of curiosity, why are your Flavos in such a highly aquatic setup? Aren't they a more terrestrial species of Cuora?

@Turtlepete has my group now. I raised them both ways.
They were just soaking. As young turtles they preferred to be more aquatic.
They are very cool.

Last edited:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
@Turtlepete has my group now. I raised them both ways.
They were just soaking. As young turtles they preferred to be more aquatic.
They are very cool.
I have noticed mine are equally favoring of soils to liquids. I wonder if it has to do with temperatures and humidity. They will favor full blown swims and then burrow in the soil. Kinda odd to me really. But then again maybe not. Spectacular species for sure.

MyersTortoise

Petersburg, VA
Maybe you and Pete could swap bloodlines.
I appreciate that suggestion Charlie! Right now my colony is too small only representing one bloodline, but I will be adding new individuals this Fall. So I will be keeping in touch with you all. I plan on being active through this forum for years to come, Lord-willing!

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
I don't have SCL on them, but weights around 750-850 grams. Probably 6.5-7".

@Anthony P, have you observed any difference in the animals in your group? Charlie and I have both noticed animals with a distinct higher domed shell, and some with a flatter, streamlined carapace. The gold bar on the head looks different between the two as well. Among the trio of adults, the male has a very wide head, and he and one female have a higher domed shell; however, the third female is much flatter. Interestingly, the flatter female is much more graceful in the water. Perhaps two ssp., one naturally more aquatic then the other? The flatter/streamlined carapace seems to allow for better swimming. The heads of the males also seem to be on average wider, something I haven't seen mentioned in literature.

What I'm interested in is at what size CB animals will begin to breed. In many species, second and third generation CB animals seem to produce earlier and more ova than their WC counterparts. None of my younger flavo's are anywhere near reproducing, but Charlie's are getting quite large!

I have 9 flavo's here right now, the 2.3 TMG animals, the 1.2 adults from @CharlieM, and the sole hatchling produced so far. Funny to think that just 10 months ago I had my first experience with them!

higher domed shell and more orange face are the distinct features of certain geography groups from mainland china.

see this painting around 950AD, high domed shell

6608873023980393091.jpg

n452530000.shtml

0c2dcb89ef0249b08d79ff0714089580_th.jpg

pclare

NJ
I have noticed mine are equally favoring of soils to liquids. I wonder if it has to do with temperatures and humidity. They will favor full blown swims and then burrow in the soil. Kinda odd to me really. But then again maybe not. Spectacular species for sure.
I have a mated pair (age 20+) five of their offspring (4 juveniles, 1 hatchling). I have always considered them to be semi-aquatic.

As for shell/size differences, I've found the males to be more slender and taller (higher dome), whereas the females are much broader, heavier, and shorter. The males have much bigger heads, too.

Kinda like humans. ;)

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Prices are crazy high on them now, and climbing..

My group is plugging along, growing slowly. Under more recent observation, I am thinking the group I have is 5.9, with the vast majority being far too young to breed. For adults, I only have one male. Then there are a bunch of juveniles around 250 grams or so.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Prices are crazy high on them now, and climbing..

My group is plugging along, growing slowly. Under more recent observation, I am thinking the group I have is 5.9, with the vast majority being far too young to breed. For adults, I only have one male. Then there are a bunch of juveniles around 250 grams or so.

Your right about the price! Most of the Cuora except for Amboinensis are climbing!