Flipping tortises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierced_pixie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
If my baby sully is on her back do you think it's better for me to help her out, or let her learn to flip back over on her own?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would give em a few moments to see if he can figure it out (unless they are tiny...then by all means right them again, slowly) and if he does not "get it" maybe push something along side of him so he can push off of...still if no go then give em a hand....(but don't leave him that way too long, it is not healthy for then to remain on their backs...

I know that there will be people that say, well in the wild no one would be there to flip em back over, well my moto is I bet they would love a passerby in the wild to give em a hand.....but since that is not likely to happen, most right themselves and some don't :(

pierced_pixie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the advice! I gave her a little while to figure it out and then I helped her. She was trying to flip back over by pushing her head around in the soft substrate and it wasn't really working lol

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Good job......It is such a graphic sight to see....I cringe and want to run and flip em back anytime I see one on their back....its like " ahhhhh, what were you thinking dude?" LOL :p:p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Dang- I must have a really sick mind. When I saw the title of this thread I began to think of some sort of game in which you have to flip a tortoise onto a target for points. A toy tortoise, mind you- I am not THAT sick!

You know the game Pass the Pigs where you toss pair of pigs and score points based on how they land? Tortoise Flipping combines that with a Lawn Darts element. You toss your toy tortoise at a target in such a way that it flips completely once, and score for accuracy on the target- 1, 5, or 10 points but you also gain points for how it lands. On all 4's- +10, on the back no limbs touching- +10, 2 legs on the ground- no bonus, 1 leg and head or tail- +5... or something like that.

If I was going to market this commercially, the tortoises would make noises as they fly through the air, and another noise as they hit ("Gerroooonimooooooooo- OOF!" "Banzaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii- Boinga boinga boinga", etc. on some sort of random schedule.)

Millions to be made- all I need is some cash. Who will invest in this glorious goal????

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah I say give them a little help if they can't do it themselves after a few moments..

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a question about this, do you think it is a good idea to purposly put Wilbur back, so he can learn how to flip back over?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I think it is important to discover what is causing them to flip and try to remove what ever it is. It would be terrible if a tort flipped and couldn't flip back and they were stuck under their basking light or whatever. When mine flips there is usually a cause that I take care of. My big girl flipped a few times and it was horrible to watch her struggle, so unnatural looking.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree with CTTortoiseMom and evaluate what is causing them to flip over. Sometimes it's a security issue, removing what they are climbing on to flip over could help, placing more fake plants or other adding security features may help too. I rarely see a tortoise flip themselves back over. If he/she is found on her back, I would just flip her back over herself.

pierced_pixie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I'm not sure exactly what caused her to flip over... I think she had dug a little hole then tripped into it later on :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I would wait a few minutes and see if they can do it on their own, of course the bigger they get the harder it will be for them to flip. BTW when I saw the title first thing I thought of was "cow tipping"

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
ascott said:
Mark, two words...."sick puppy" LOL:D

What? Is it sick to visualize a toy tortoise flipping through the air making the 'Goofy Scream' as it does? Making an "OOH-GAH" horn sound when it hits?

Ummm... actually... that IS a little sick!

OK, we make little plastic tortoises with springy legs. You press down on it with a tool of some sort and release. It flips through the air to land in a cup, scoring points for making it or not.

Ummmm..... boring. Let's go back to the other one!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Mark,

the springy tortoise thingy sounds like a take on beer pong....LOL, :p

still LMAO !!!!!

all fun stuff

M

Maggie Cummings

Do we get to take a drink or a hit if the tortoise misses the cup? I'm all for it but now back to the question at hand...

I personally do not believe in trying to teach a tort how to flip back over. It's a horrible thing to see one all covered with his own poop when he can't flip back over, the ground is all dug up around him...when I see one I immediately flip them back over, carefully as to not cause gut twisting. They can die like that. Their lungs are in the top of the carapace and if left on their backs they can die from their very own weight. It causes the lungs to collapse. It's an awful way to die. Very painful to suffocate like that.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
maggie, "hit" ? :p

I have seen as maggie described , the poor little guy that has tried so long and is near exhaustion .....pee/poop everywhere....yes, slow to roll em back over is essential :D I am glad that you brought that point up....

M

Maggie Cummings

ascott said:
maggie, "hit" ? :p

I have seen as maggie described , the poor little guy that has tried so long and is near exhaustion .....pee/poop everywhere....yes, slow to roll em back over is essential :D I am glad that you brought that point up....

Yeah, "hit" is from the day, it was alright then.:(:tort::tort::tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
LMAO.....I figured so, as I could not imagine a bunch of people opting out of the shot for a "hit", oh lets say, to the gut........very fun :p:p:p
Just messin with ya, all fun....

pierced_pixie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Now she keeps flipping herself over in her water dish :( Should I get a different type? I have the kind with a ramp and she will get in, go to the corner, stand on her hind legs to try and get out of the water dish/enclosure and end up on her back in the water :(

She has done thing 5 or 6 times in the approx. 10 days I have had her.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Yes I would get her a shallow dish ASAP, one that can will be flush with the substrate. I would hate to hear that she flipped over in the water dish when your not around and things didn't turn out so great...

Status
Not open for further replies.