Flo Joins the Tortoise Forum Family

Deepfins

My wife rescued "Flo" at a local park. Some neighborhood kids found her and were playing "hot potato" with her. She took her from the kids, and after posting "found" posters all over the neighborhood with no response, we adopted her as our own. It has been a joy to learn about the Russian tortoise, and Flo has been a constant source of joy and amusement. We have learned a lot about their care through this site. Please don't tell me she's a he, or she will go from being Flo to Floyd! Here is a funny little video I made of her:

Enjoy!
John

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
salutations.
He/she (a good tail shot can confirm it) needs a beak trim.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Flo needs her beak trimmed but it's not hard just put her food on a slab of slate and she can fix her beak . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Cool video. I enjoy it. Welcome.

yillt

Beautiful tortoise. Hot potato:( :( !!!!!!! At least he is at a good home now.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
wow when i was a kid we would have been fighting over who got to take him/her not playing hot potatoe

Deepfins

Thank you very much for the advice regarding her beak. We will get on that right away. Will any course flat surface work? I'll post a picture of her backside. Glad you enjoyed the video. It was a fun project!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, John and welcome to the Forum!

From what little I could see of the tail, it looks like "Flo" is the correct name. Because of the way the shell flares up over the back legs, I'm thinking poor flo hasn't had the best of care. I hope you plan to set her up outside where she can enjoy real sunshine and get lots of exercise. Tell your wife good job on the rescue. I hate it that today's kids seem to have no respect for life.

Deepfins

Thank you, Yvonne. My wife and I both love animal. We live on the central coast of California. Our routine with Flo is we put her outside in her pen in the morning when the temperature reaches 60 degrees, and we bring her in in the afternoon when the temperature falls to 60 degrees. If it is a little nippy in the morning, we turn on a heat lamp. She spends nearly all of her waking hours outside in the sunshine, with access to shade in her pen if she chooses. It very rarely gets above 80 degrees where we live, and rarely below 50 degrees.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sound like ideal weather for a Russian tortoise.