Flood Lamps for basking.

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
I was wondering if it mattered that a 65w incandescent BR30 flood lamp is dimmable if I am going to use it as a basking light. I have found that Philips has a 12pk of dimmables for about $25. They also make one called a duramax which isn’t dimmable but says it lasts up to 2.5 years; these cost $11 for a 2pk.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Dimmable is a nice added feature in case you ever want/need to use a rheostat. They'll also work just fine in plain fixtures.

The most important feature would be that the beam (and the resultant basking zone) is wide. If the heat is confined to a narrow (blazing hot) beam, it can speed keratin curing.

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
Dimmable is a nice added feature in case you ever want/need to use a rheostat. They'll also work just fine in plain fixtures.

The most important feature would be that the beam (and the resultant basking zone) is wide. If the heat is confined to a narrow (blazing hot) beam, it can speed keratin curing.
Thanks! I am using a standard ceramic dome fixture hung with a light stand and a regular 65 watt incandescent bulb I had laying around. The replacement bulbs I am looking at are flood type bulbs for indoor use rather than the spot bulbs.