1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Florida Permitting

Discussion in 'General Tortoise Discussion' started by Dan, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Dan

Dan Active Member 5 Year Member

In the not too distant future, I’m considering a move to Florida with my tortoises. Are there any permit concerns for the following non-native species?

C. sulcata
    G. platynota

Broward or Miami-Dade counties, most likely.
  2. Dan

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    This question came about when reading about an exotic animal rescue near Miami that was looted in the night. Apparently there was some expectation that the stolen animals might show up at an exotic animal amnesty event.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

4. Will

Will Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    I don't know. Considering the preponderance of exotics in FLA, it must be a simple application process if there is one.
  5. zovick

zovick Well-Known Member

I am not aware of any requirements for the platynota, but the sulcata may require a health certificate if shipped into FL due to the tick question from years ago. If you drive into the state with the tortoises in your car, I don't believe there will be any checks done by anyone or any problems.
    Cheryl Hills and Dan like this.
  6. Dan

http://myfwc.com/11181.aspx

Sulcata seems to be on the conditional list. Perhaps I’m missing the distinction between possession and importation. I know that sulcatas are not really imported anymore, and given how many there are, there’s no need.
  7. Nicole Smith

Nicole Smith New Member

I live in Florida and I have 4 Sulcata and I don't need any permits for my them. The Florida Fish and Wildlife does ask that if you can no longer take care of your exotics to contact them and they will reach out to someone who is certified to take care of them.
    Sticky Feets likes this.
  8. Geezer

Geezer New Member 5 Year Member

@zovick is correct. When bringing a sulcata into the State of Florida it must have a Certificate of a Veterinary Inspection stating that the animal is free of ectoparasites. This regulation came into effect around 2000 or 2001 due to some African species of tortoises being found with tropical bont ticks (Amblyoma sp) that are vectors for the bacterium that causes Heartwater disease. Heartwater is a disease in cattle that can be fatal to 50-70% of cattle beards. Understandably the Florida Cattlemans Association was concerned about the impact of this on their Industry. Since you will be at the vet, you may as well include the platynota on the CVI, just out of caution. If you intend to be selling wildlife, you will need a $50 ESC liscense. More info is available at myfwc.com. I feel qualified to speak on this matter since I was the Reptile Industry representative on the Board of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) and the Animal Industry Technical Council (AITC). When entering the State of Florida with any animals you should stop at the Agricultural Inspection Station and declare the animals you are bringing in. This is where the CVI would come in handy. The real purpose of these Ag Inspection Stations is to protect the State crops and heards from outbreaks of costly diseases. In all probability the inspector will be pleasantly surprised that you are prepared with a CVI.
  9. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Thank you, Geezer! Long time no see.
  10. Nicole Smith

Nicole Smith New Member

Thank you for the information.
  11. teresaf

teresaf Well-Known Member

Oops...I just drove here from Ohio with my four tortoises. The Tick thing was because they were being imported with them from out of the United States wasn't it? Now they don't import them anymore so those ticks shouldn't be an issue.... I could be wrong.
  12. Dan

Thank you for the information, @Geezer