Florida Permitting

Dan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
In the not too distant future, I’m considering a move to Florida with my tortoises. Are there any permit concerns for the following non-native species?

C. sulcata
G. platynota

Broward or Miami-Dade counties, most likely.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
This question came about when reading about an exotic animal rescue near Miami that was looted in the night. Apparently there was some expectation that the stolen animals might show up at an exotic animal amnesty event.

zovick

10 Year Member!
In the not too distant future, I’m considering a move to Florida with my tortoises. Are there any permit concerns for the following non-native species?

C. sulcata
G. platynota

Broward or Miami-Dade counties, most likely.

I am not aware of any requirements for the platynota, but the sulcata may require a health certificate if shipped into FL due to the tick question from years ago. If you drive into the state with the tortoises in your car, I don't believe there will be any checks done by anyone or any problems.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
http://myfwc.com/11181.aspx

Sulcata seems to be on the conditional list. Perhaps I’m missing the distinction between possession and importation. I know that sulcatas are not really imported anymore, and given how many there are, there’s no need.

Nicole Smith

Orlando,FL
I live in Florida and I have 4 Sulcata and I don't need any permits for my them. The Florida Fish and Wildlife does ask that if you can no longer take care of your exotics to contact them and they will reach out to someone who is certified to take care of them.

Geezer

5 Year Member
Newberry, FL
@zovick is correct. When bringing a sulcata into the State of Florida it must have a Certificate of a Veterinary Inspection stating that the animal is free of ectoparasites. This regulation came into effect around 2000 or 2001 due to some African species of tortoises being found with tropical bont ticks (Amblyoma sp) that are vectors for the bacterium that causes Heartwater disease. Heartwater is a disease in cattle that can be fatal to 50-70% of cattle beards. Understandably the Florida Cattlemans Association was concerned about the impact of this on their Industry. Since you will be at the vet, you may as well include the platynota on the CVI, just out of caution. If you intend to be selling wildlife, you will need a $50 ESC liscense. More info is available at myfwc.com. I feel qualified to speak on this matter since I was the Reptile Industry representative on the Board of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) and the Animal Industry Technical Council (AITC). When entering the State of Florida with any animals you should stop at the Agricultural Inspection Station and declare the animals you are bringing in. This is where the CVI would come in handy. The real purpose of these Ag Inspection Stations is to protect the State crops and heards from outbreaks of costly diseases. In all probability the inspector will be pleasantly surprised that you are prepared with a CVI.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you, Geezer! Long time no see.

Nicole Smith

Orlando,FL
@zovick is correct. When bringing a sulcata into the State of Florida it must have a Certificate of a Veterinary Inspection stating that the animal is free of ectoparasites. This regulation came into effect around 2000 or 2001 due to some African species of tortoises being found with tropical bont ticks (Amblyoma sp) that are vectors for the bacterium that causes Heartwater disease. Heartwater is a disease in cattle that can be fatal to 50-70% of cattle beards. Understandably the Florida Cattlemans Association was concerned about the impact of this on their Industry. Since you will be at the vet, you may as well include the platynota on the CVI, just out of caution. If you intend to be selling wildlife, you will need a $50 ESC liscense. More info is available at myfwc.com. I feel qualified to speak on this matter since I was the Reptile Industry representative on the Board of the Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) and the Animal Industry Technical Council (AITC). When entering the State of Florida with any animals you should stop at the Agricultural Inspection Station and declare the animals you are bringing in. This is where the CVI would come in handy. The real purpose of these Ag Inspection Stations is to protect the State crops and heards from outbreaks of costly diseases. In all probability the inspector will be pleasantly surprised that you are prepared with a CVI.
Thank you for the information.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Oops...I just drove here from Ohio with my four tortoises. The Tick thing was because they were being imported with them from out of the United States wasn't it? Now they don't import them anymore so those ticks shouldn't be an issue.... I could be wrong.