Flower ID please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Saw some of these flowers around the estate, wonder if they're safe for tort consumption? Any help would be great. :)

46847664.jpg

25436558.jpg

79167956.jpg

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I only knew the second one too and it is a bummer because they are easy to grow so I have several:( Never saw the first.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Oh darn... looks too "Perfect" to be safe.. Many thanks for the link Mary Anne.
Hmm, something about Leaves in the first pic tells me that the plant is toxic though.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Your very welcome. Glad I could help!

It is a bummer, I have Lantana growing in my front yard too. Like Angi said it's easy to grow, plus it very pretty when the whole bush is flowering.

Andrew are the leaves kinda waxie looking in the first plant?

You can trying sending that picture to the tortoise table ladies they are super helpful and very nice. I have asked them myself about a few plants.

If you need some ideas on what flowers to grow, I have started a little list!

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Oh yes, waxy and stiff-like leaves. My bear grylls instinct tell me that they're not safe! ahahaha
Good idea, I think I shall send the pic their way.
Flowers to grow? There are lotsa colours on my fingers and green isnt one of them. heh
List of safe flowers for torts to eat would be nice! I can go flower hunting. :)

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Bear Grylls is one hunk of a man! Yah! :p Sorry :p back to the flowers.....

Pansy
Nemesia ~ my torties LOVE this one
Campanula ~ second favorite
Johnny jumps ups
California poppies ~ Eschscholzia californica variety
Hibiscus
Cosmos
Nasturium
Squash flowers and leaves ~ third favorite
Rose petals
New red leaf growth of rose bush leaves ~ mine LOve it
Geranium ~ mine do not like it, I try to sneak it in, but they don't eat it.
Zinna
Alyssum
Gerbera
Grape leaves ~ Home Dept has some for sale now.
Mulberry tree leaves
Sedum brevifolium ~ Mine go crazy for this, this is a succulent.
Sedum tricolor ~ I just bought this one, it's detoxing I have not fed it yet, also a succulent.
Aloe vera ~ is like tortie crack here at my house!

That should give you a bit of a head start.

Just keep in mind if you buy anything from a nursery, you will need to replant it in organic soil and let it detox for at least a month and then feed the new growth.

Only use rose petal and leaves from bushes that have not had a systemic pesticide or fertalizer used on them. Home depot also has bare root rose bushes on sale for $4.98. I just bought 4.

I grow everything for my crew, most are little ones, so it lasts a little longer, now Daisy Lou on the other hand could eat 2 pansy plants in 2 minutes flat!

You can send me a message if you have any questions!! :)

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Replant in organic soil, detox a mth at least and only use dead organic matter as compost. Got it! Great list btw!
Thanks a bunch Mary Anne!

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
I got an email from TTT and this was Wat they had to say abt the first plant above.
"Its from the Euphorbia family and like most Euphorbias all parts are toxic so in answer to your original question - No its not safe for tortoises.
The common name for it is Physic nut or Compact Spicy Jatropha  and the scientific name is Jatropha integerrima 'Compacta'.
Jatropha contains the highly toxic compound phorbol which is said to promote the growth of tumors.  It is also a skin irritant and the seeds can be fatal to both human and animal if as little as three are ingested."
Took them a couple of days but they enjoyed the challenge presented. Real dedicated team. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.