Flower identification for horsefield tortoise

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all!

Does anyone know what this is? Photo taken today so still going strong in the cold conditions, just wondering if it would be safe for my horsefield tortoise?
Thanks guys

Attachments

• EAFE411F-F765-4060-B9C9-7DBE31DA3F5E.jpeg
    EAFE411F-F765-4060-B9C9-7DBE31DA3F5E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
I'm by no means an expert, but I think that is a type of marigold. If that were the case, the tortoise table says both leaf and flower are edible.

MEEJogja

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Indonesia
@Maro2Bear I thought coreopsis had a grass like leaf structure. After some research I'm not so sure and you may be right.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Snip a nice stem & flower bud, pop over to your local garden centre, and someone can easily ID. That way you will have a positive ID. There are lots of similar perennial garden flowers like that one. Good luck

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all!

Does anyone know what this is? Photo taken today so still going strong in the cold conditions, just wondering if it would be safe for my horsefield tortoise?
Thanks guys
Definitely not a marigold. It looks like a yellow daisy to me. It may be a wild type.

Not sure if they are safe for tortoises to eat or not, though.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't know but when you have some names look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk - it as lots of pics and could help you with ID .
See my post below..............

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It does like like a brown eyed susan,a member of the rudbeckia plant family that's within the larger group of daisies.

It's safe enough to eat; the information in the Tortoise Table cautions it because it has been known to cause issues in mammals; that doesn't tell us anything about reptiles. There are plenty of daisies and sunflowers (another relative) that are fed. That said, I'd be surprised if your tortoise eats much of this particular plant. My Russian sure won't!

As always, don't feed anything you aren't comfortable with.