Fogger vs mister

musiclover18

Location (City and/or State)
ontario
I’m wondering which is better for during the day keeping the humidity up!
I used to run a fogger and found my tortoise never came out so I switched to a mister and found he was out and about more. I’m now hearing that it’s not good to run a mister more than a few times a day?
I just got a mist king system. Should I set it to only mist 3 times a day and run a fogger often? If so how often should I have a fogger run?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old and how big?
Living inside or outside?
If inside what kind of enclosure, table or closed chamber?
neither should be needed if it's a hatchling and housed in a proper closed chamber. If in open table, then get it closed off to be a closed chamber.
if it's much older and living outside, then a mister can be used to help raise the humidity if needed.

musiclover18

ontario
How old and how big?
Living inside or outside?
If inside what kind of enclosure, table or closed chamber?
neither should be needed if it's a hatchling and housed in a proper closed chamber. If in open table, then get it closed off to be a closed chamber.
if it's much older and living outside, then a mister can be used to help raise the humidity if needed.
Hello! It’s living inside with a mostly enclosed area, roughly 2 years old 6inches. substrate is always damp to wet,

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Then if you get it closed off all the way, the humidity with the damp substrate should hold around 80% without a mister or fogger.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They really shouldn't be used, but if one does use them, it should be warm not cold mister or fogger.

musiclover18

ontario
That’s what I assumed! And my Govee reader tells me over 80 and it sits at his level! I’ve recently been told on another group that he’s way to dry which I do try to soak often but it stresses him out more than I would like.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello! It’s living inside with a mostly enclosed area, roughly 2 years old 6inches. substrate is always damp to wet,
The way to get humidity up is by using a closed chamber. Neither misters nor foggers should be needed or used. Red foots need high humidity, but dry substrate to prevent shell rot. This is accomplished by maintaining warm temperatures in a large closed chamber and having the lower layers of the substrate damp, while the uppers layers remain dry. 3-4 inches of repti-bark will do it.

They should not be breathing those micro droplets from a fogger, and a mister will keep things too wet, which will bring you a bad case of shell rot in this species.

Be careful with advice from places other than this forum. Most everything else you hear will be all wrong. FB, YT, Reddit, pet stores, etc... Its bad out there.

musiclover18

ontario
The way to get humidity up is by using a closed chamber. Neither misters nor foggers should be needed or used. Red foots need high humidity, but dry substrate to prevent shell rot. This is accomplished by maintaining warm temperatures in a large closed chamber and having the lower layers of the substrate damp, while the uppers layers remain dry. 3-4 inches of repti-bark will do it.

They should not be breathing those micro droplets from a fogger, and a mister will keep things too wet, which will bring you a bad case of shell rot in this species.

Be careful with advice from places other than this forum. Most everything else you hear will be all wrong. FB, YT, Reddit, pet stores, etc... Its bad out there.
I have a bio active substrate so it’s coco choir mix what do you recommend for keeping humidity up

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a bio active substrate so it’s coco choir mix what do you recommend for keeping humidity up
If you wet the coir and place orchid bark on top, it will help greatly in preventing shell rot and the dampness of the coir will keep humidity up. But this only works that easily in a closed chamber.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What Wellington said. That is the only way I know to do it. If your enclosure is drying out too much or too fast, you have too much ventilation. A proper closed chamber solves this problem. I can easily maintain 80% humidity in my Animal Plastics enclosures with bone dry aspen shaving substrate with a water bowl and a humid hide.

musiclover18

ontario
If you wet the coir and place orchid bark on top, it will help greatly in preventing shell rot and the dampness of the coir will keep humidity up. But this only works that easily in a closed chamber.
Where in your enclosure do you keep your hygrometer, I currently have mine on the substrate, I use a govee humidity sensor

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't use one any more. My torts are all adults so humidity doesn't have to be kept in the whole enclosure.
When I did use one, it was too on the substrate.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree with most of what has already been posted.
Redfoot require high humidity but can't live on constantly wet substrate because fungal issues will be a big problem.
That MISTKING is a great product. And you can use it. But I'd set it up to spray into a corner. (Maybe for a minute every 8 to 12 hours). Or on a wall so that the water can drain into the substrate. That way the majority of the substrate will remain dry and the humidity will be released as it evaporates.
A closed chamber enclosure or something of that style design is your very best bet.
80 to 86 degrees. With 82 being the target. And at least 70% humidity. And higher is better.
No bright lights.
A T5 HO UVB Linear strip florescent tube.
Hiding areas.
Shallow water bowl large enough for climbing into

musiclover18

ontario
Can you guys give me tips on improving his setup! I will be adding cedar bark, my reptile store is sold out right now they get more in a week! The one light about the plants is a plant light then near it is a heat emitter and the far side is heat/light, uvb is mounted inside! IMG_2801.jpegIMG_2800.jpeg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have a mini greenhouse set over a tort table...It stays 84 to 88 degrees with 85 % humidity...my RF is 5 "scl so he's small. But he spends his days outside in the hot weather...and in his greenhouse when he can't go outside. It looks to me like you are bombarding your tortoise with bright light...they live on the forest floor in the wild, basically hiding from bright light. I have a 65 watt incandescent bulb on one end of the tort table and a CHE on the other, it's 6 ft long...DSCN1171.JPG