Food question

Zouwu

Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City Utah
How accurate is this food pyramid for leopards? I have two cuttlebones in there, I feed him mostly leafy greens and weeds and grassland tortoise chow. Should i order mazuri and TNT? He is about 2 years old. Thanks!Screenshot_20190220-160821.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That graphic is a guide, not a rule. And it mainly applies to older, or full grown tortoises. TNT is a good supplement, but not really a necessary supplement. Get it if you want to try it. Mazuri is an ok additive to a diet, but if you don't feed it to him he's not going to die without it. It's really up to you if you want to supplement with those products. I have both and use them occasionally.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with what Yvonne said and I would add that regular leopards tend to prefer leafy weeds and succulents to grass, although they will certainly eat some grass. I think the diet for a sulcata should be much higher in grass content than the diet of a regular leopard in general. South African leopards eat grass like a sulcata.

In the summer my SA leopards and sulcatas have grass hay always available and get cactus pads 2-3 times a week. I supplement with weeds, grape leaves and mulberry leaves the rest of the time. Occasionally, I'll mix in some grocery store leftovers like lettuce or cilantro, but not very often. Once a week or so, they get Mazuri.

Zouwu

Salt Lake City Utah
Great, assuming my ID is correct he is a SA Leopard right? Means I should up the succulent/cactus pad because I haven't offered those at all.

I got him a few months ago and now that the snow has mostly melted I'm trying to feed him better and get away from the store baught stuff. KIMG2253.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great, assuming my ID is correct he is a SA Leopard right?
I can't tell from the picture. SA leopards cost double what the regular ones cost and you would know it if that is what you bought.

Zouwu

Salt Lake City Utah
I didn't buy, my friend had a tortoise for two years. I think she thought it was a desert tortoise but then found out it was a leopard tortoise and didn't want it. She gave it to me. What do you need in the picture. I am inexperienced at tortoise ID.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He looks like my leopard but I've no idea if he's SA or not.
He won't eat pellets or dried grass even if softened so his diet is mostly as recommended on the caresheet here. I haven't tried mazuri as it's not generally available in UK. Cactus pads aren't available either, he likes aloe but I only give him that if he needs a laxative.
He loves dandies, ribwort plantain, and clover and other safe weeds, which I bulk out with bagged salads but only those with a good mix of recommended leaves like Florette Classic Crispy.
He also enjoys Pak Choi and Romiane occasionally with a variety of other veg offered.
I sprinkle ground dried hay onto his leaves so that he gets fibre but he will graze on fresh grass in the summer if it's warm enough to put him out, but not a lot.
Don't be surprised of he ignores your cuttlebone - mine will for months until he feels like a nibble. I sprinkle a pinch of calcium powder on his food a few times a week and some Nutrabal occasionally.

Zouwu

Salt Lake City Utah
Okay cool. My friend only ever fed him romaine and kale. I harvest weeds for medicine so half are going to him. That explains why he doesn't eat the softened grass pellets. He has nibbled out about 1/4 of one of the cuttlebones. Cactus pads are available here. Is the care for an adult leopard the same as the care sheet listed? That one says it's for babies.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Okay cool. My friend only ever fed him romaine and kale. I harvest weeds for medicine so half are going to him. That explains why he doesn't eat the softened grass pellets. He has nibbled out about 1/4 of one of the cuttlebones. Cactus pads are available here. Is the care for an adult leopard the same as the care sheet listed? That one says it's for babies.
Pretty much I think.
I'll have to go back and have a look at them both.
Have you seen www.thetortoisetable.org.uk ? Its a good guide on IDing safe weeds for torts.
tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/ is a good list for leopards too

Last edited: