Vitamin supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Well we're about a month away from having a hard killing frost, and wondering if other people use multivitamins in their tortoises' diets?

I'm specifically wondering about the Rep-Cal Herptivite.
I'll be having to feed ALL grocery bought greens and also whatever I can manage to grow this winter.

We're feeding 2 torts., a redfoot and a leopard.
Not so worried about the redfoots diet, more so the leopards.
Luka our leopard is fed all kinds of greens, Mazuri, Grassland tortoise food and hay. Forgot to add the calcium supplement also.
Love to hear your input:).
Thanks

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Sue,

I don't know that the multivitamin would be a problem, but I don't use a multivitamin supplement and I don't use the Grassland tortoise food. If you are feeding, store bought greens and Mazuri, along with a cuttlebone or calcium supplement, I would think Luka should be alright for the winter. Will you be able to provide some grassy hay too? I sometimes buy the Timothy hay sold in pet stores, then chop it up. Have you tried growing the tortoise grazing seed mix indoors to provide weeds? If you could do that, it would also help give a variety in nutrients. I'm sure you'll get more input from others shortly.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks Sandy.
I do have timothy hay in her enclosure at all times, we have horses
and I steal the best of the bales for Luka.
I'll have to see if I can order some of the grazing seed mix then
and try growing it.

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sue: We use the best of our horse hay too (we have miniature horses). My stepson has a guinea pig and I use some of the Timothy hay for it to "mix" things up occasionally. I hope you have good luck with the seeds. I just "sowed" some two weeks ago and have a pen and two separate containers flush with weeds. This is the second year I've used them and I'm very happy with them. I got them at www.carolinapetsupply.com.

K

krissgreeve

Hello friends,
I also think multivitamin would be a problem. If you are feeding, store bought greens along with a cuttlebone or calcium supplement, I would think Luka should be alright for the winter. Have you tried growing the tortoise grazing seed mix indoors to provide weeds? If you could do that, it would also help give a variety in nutrients. I am sure you will get more input from others shortly.
Thanks for sharing this view,

J

John Victor

I think lot of people are depended on multi-vitamin supplements. eating a balanced meal everyday can be good option. For me natural vitamin supplements are mostly beneficial to e healthy.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I personally don't believe in giving torts vitamin supplements. Too much risk in overdosing, which can lead to fatal amounts in fat soluble vitamins. I use a pure calcium supplement (no D3) along with Total Nutrition for Tortoises (from Carolina Pet Supply). TNT is all natural ground up weeds and such, so you can't overdo it. Mazuri and Grassland Tortoise have D3 and other vitamins in them so I go very easy on stuff like that. Just my opinion though. I think what you are proposing as far as foods sounds just fine, and with TNT that would improve too. Best wishes.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the input, I've decided to cut the amount of Rep-Cal Herptivite, back drastically.
I was just using a smidge but will only dust it on once in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.