food stuck in neck

moorealanna1

Location (City and/or State)
PA
Hi it looks like my tortoise got some kale stuck in his neck should i try and get it out or will he get it out himself

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I think your saying it is in the shoulder between claw and head? If so suggest you get a container for a shallow warm soak. Get a cup and fill with water and holder the tort in the air above container, his claw with probably stretch out pour the water in and piece should flush out or get a blunt pen end and poke Avoid showing the head! Flush again if still stuck. From now on remove the large kale vein and only provide leaves. I always avoid all hard bits as scared of choking etc...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just wait and see if it will come out on it's own. There is no big danger there. Don't poke at it with anything, that could cause an injury

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think your saying it is in the shoulder between claw and head? If so suggest you get a container for a shallow warm soak. Get a cup and fill with water and holder the tort in the air above container, his claw with probably stretch out pour the water in and piece should flush out or get a blunt pen end and poke Avoid showing the head! Flush again if still stuck. From now on remove the large kale vein and only provide leaves. I always avoid all hard bits as scared of choking etc...
Should not poke with anything. That could cause injury. The kale will not. It likely will fall out on its own.

moorealanna1

PA
I think you’re saying it is in the shoulder between claw and head? If so suggest you get a container for a shallow warm soak. Get a cup and fill with water and holder the tort in the air above container, his claw with probably stretch out pour the water in and piece should flush out or get a blunt pen end and poke Avoid showing the head! Flush again if still stuck. From now on remove the large kale vein and only provide leaves. I always avoid all hard bits as scared of choking etc...
i give him the kale sort of shredded from a bag and i’m sorry what do you mean by avoid showing the head?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i give him the kale sort of shredded from a bag and i’m sorry what do you mean by avoid showing the head?
Just let it come out on it's own. When he sticks his head out all the way it likely will come out. Or just give him a warm soak in a little deeper water then normal. Do not poke anything at it.