Food

brian.le02

Location (City and/or State)
Surprise Arizona
Anyone have any experience with this weed? Just fed my tort a little I have heard mixed opinions of it I gave it to him once and he seemed completely fine I just gave him a little more than last time mixed with pellet and grass
IMG_1558400102.754962.jpg
I believe it is spurge

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
That is spurge. Take your tort to it, it will probably eat it. As long as you don't spray it, it will be safe! Here is a picture of Andi eating some when she was just a few weeks old.
2003-9-11 Andy 2.jpg

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Oh wow how often do you feed it to your tort also he/she is very cute!! I’ve heard spurge can be bad if eaten to much
Thanks! She's now 50 pounds, so has outgrown the cute stage, but she is definitely a character!

I don't feed it to them very often. It's not growing in their enclosure and right now they aren't allowed out of it until we get the fences back up. When she was that small she used to eat it on her own when she was out, but that was pretty limited too. Some people will tell you not to feed them vegetables and fruit, but when they are really small, you don't always have a lot of choices. It isn't like you can go to the grocery store or pet shop and buy them weeds. I feel it's better to give them decent veges and know that they are getting nourishment. Make sure you soak yours at least every other day though.

brian.le02

Surprise Arizona
Thanks! She's now 50 pounds, so has outgrown the cute stage, but she is definitely a character!

I don't feed it to them very often. It's not growing in their enclosure and right now they aren't allowed out of it until we get the fences back up. When she was that small she used to eat it on her own when she was out, but that was pretty limited too. Some people will tell you not to feed them vegetables and fruit, but when they are really small, you don't always have a lot of choices. It isn't like you can go to the grocery store or pet shop and buy them weeds. I feel it's better to give them decent veges and know that they are getting nourishment. Make sure you soak yours at least every other day though.

50 Pounds!!!! I hope my little man will grow that big haha and ok I will keep that in mind I have recently found a small amount of dandelions so I will give him that every so often and I’m waiting for new weeds to grow in so In the mean time I’m feeding mustard greens with pellets I also some everyday for about 20-45min and a carrot soak every few weeks

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
50 Pounds!!!! I hope my little man will grow that big haha and ok I will keep that in mind I have recently found a small amount of dandelions so I will give him that every so often and I’m waiting for new weeds to grow in so In the mean time I’m feeding mustard greens with pellets I also some everyday for about 20-45min and a carrot soak every few weeks
Do you have a postage or food scale? It will come in handy to track his growth. We used a postage scale - it goes up to 10 lbs, until everyone got too big. It reads in grams too; that helps a lot!