for dog lovers only.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

hali

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Today is just another day - to me they're all the same
I have the worst of genes you see, I bear the "Staffy" shame.
The shame is in our numbers, there's thousands with no home.
Thousands just like me you'll find, in kennels all alone.

My mum was "just a Staffy", my father - well who knows?
Mum, too, became unwanted, as the last puppy goes.
And then begins the process, of money-making deals
A life of "moving on" unfolds, who cares how the Staffy feels?
If you have the cash to hand, the Staffy pup is yours
But that pup is getting bigger now, just look at those big paws.

You brought me for your image, thought I'd make you look more tough
But you'll find my boisterous nature has already got too much.
If you had thought to train me, with kindness and with praise
You would have had a faithful friend to share your darkest days.
I would lay down my life for you, but you simply cannot see
You make sure you get your money back on what you paid for me.

And on it goes, until one day, I'm no longer worth a dime
The retail on an adult staff - not worth the waste of time.
So what happens to a Staffy now? Do you really want to know?
Do you care what will become of us, when we leave our final home?

Have you ever thought to wonder, "Where is that Staffy now?"
The "Staffy" has another name; he's become a "stray" somehow.
Me, I was put into a car and driven far away
The door held open, I jumped out, I thought to run and play.
It was with joy and happy heart I turned to look for you
You drove away with all my trust and a piece of my heart too.

I wondered round for many days before I was brought here.
Now I wait with heavy heart, trepidation and with fear.
Seven days is all I have you see, seven days for you to claim
The little dog that you threw out, for which you have no shame.

This is my last goodbye now my seven days are up
If only more thought had gone into the future of that pup
As the needle empties to my veins I lay down with one last sigh
I'm sorry I was born a Staffy, because it means that I must die.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
SPAY AND NEUTER>>>
and be a responsible pet owner..
but that is too much to ask from so many people and this is what happens....

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
This makes me so sad, i was actually talking about this with someone in work the other day, saying how sad it is, i totally agree with what Laura has said. We have a pet dog now that was actually a stray, not a staffy but a dog that is from spain that was going to be put down for being a stray, she is scared of so many things and people but has turned out to be such a wonderful dog and such a great companion, we have had her spayed since having her. I just feel so bad for these staffy dogs that could be such great pets if given the chance.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I cried when I read this and then my husband walked in and wanted to know what happened. Did you write this? They should put this up at the pound. You should send this to Cesar Milan's website.

thelma humpert

5 Year Member
I foster puppies for the pound.. This summer I have had 6 litters of pups... The moms are labeled mean... So they put her down and try to foster the puppies. If they don't get foster home they will be put down with mom... Its really sad.. Right now I only have 3.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Staffy... Staffordhsire Terrier.. AKA Pit Bull..
90% of dogs in shelters are Pittys or mixes.. all over.. some shelters dont put them up for adoption period.. others will temp test them.... but even if up for adoption.. so many places.. rentals etc dont allow them...
So , there are few GOOD homes for them.. and even if it is a good home.. they are a different breed of dog that not everyone should have.. they are not for everyone.. LIke many breeds.. but esp them...

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
Well that was heartbreaking ..... but true.
this is my 1st time here. I joined because of my tortoises but dogs are my passion ... my life. Especially the Bull breeds. I currently have 1 APBT (pit bull) an American Bull dog, Boxer/pit cross, and a Rat terrier. I will always own a Pit bull dog. They need people who will tolerate the prejudice, the possible dog to dog aggression and teach their pit bulls to be good breed ambassadors.
These are special dogs ... they really are. One has to spend time with them to understand.
yve

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have never understood the fear of pits and pits mixes, is it because a couple of people mistreat theirs and they turn mean? seem unfair to label a whole species for a couple of incidents. My neighbor had a pit mix for over 15 years before he moved, it's name was charlie one of the sweetest dogs you could ever meet. The only problem charlie ever had was he liked to eat the steer manure my neighbor used for his yard so you had to watch out for his poop breath.

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
I have never understood the fear of pits and pits mixes, is it because a couple of people mistreat theirs and they turn mean? seem unfair to label a whole species for a couple of incidents.

++++++++++++++++++++
I find 'mistreated' (and even neglected) pit bulls to be overly submissive and excessively eager to please. The problem is the idiots who condone bad behavior and to do so with a terrier mentality with the pit bull strength is asking for a disaster. Its a shame.
Unfortunately its a little more than a 'couple' incidents but youre right, it isnt fair. Considering the extraordinary population of pit bulls and crosses ... the precentages are very low. Many other breeds actually have a 'much' higher bite statistic but sadly the strength & tenacity of the PB usually does more damage. But still ... labeling the breed in general is like calling us 'all' drunk, irresponsible drivers. [/color]

JourneyTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Laura said:
Staffy... Staffordhsire Terrier.. AKA Pit Bull..

Actually Staffy's are not Pit Bulls, Staffys are Staffordshire Bull Terriers and they are very different from the Pit Bull, they are much smaller in stature but they are lumped in with the Pit Bull and if you live where I live (Ontario) they are banned together with any dog that looks like a pit bull. The onus is on the owner to proove that they are not pit bulls. Some labs with big heads have been called Pit Bulls and Pit Bull mixes.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
dmmj said:
I have never understood the fear of pits and pits mixes, is it because a couple of people mistreat theirs and they turn mean? seem unfair to label a whole species for a couple of incidents. My neighbor had a pit mix for over 15 years before he moved, it's name was charlie one of the sweetest dogs you could ever meet. The only problem charlie ever had was he liked to eat the steer manure my neighbor used for his yard so you had to watch out for his poop breath.

A couple of incidents? Are you kidding? Where have you been? You need to do your research. I'm not saying that there's not Pit Bulls out there that aren't great because I know some people who have them. I realize that they can be very good pets, but I also know they can be quite dangerous especially in the hands of people who just want them for prestige. I just wish people would quit breeding them because there are way to many being put down.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
What a sad poem, my eyes are full of water :( The worst part is that the poem is so true :(
Thanks for sharing!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Candy said:
dmmj said:

A couple of incidents? Are you kidding? Where have you been? You need to do your research. I'm not saying that there's not Pit Bulls out there that aren't great because I know some people who have them. I realize that they can be very good pets, but I also know they can be quite dangerous especially in the hands of people who just want them for prestige. I just wish people would quit breeding them because there are way to many being put down.

I should not even start posting here, but there is a slight difference between an American Pit Bull Terrier ("Pit Bull") and an American Stafordshire Terrier ("Staffie").

My rescue is an all-breed rescue, but when it comes to the medium-larger dogs, we usually only rescue Pits, Staffies, and their mixes (Mastiffs, Am Bulldogs, Rotties, Shepards, Boxers, etc.).

While I agree that any dog, any breed, CAN be dangerous when in the wrong hands, I disagree completely with the fact the Pit Bulls are naturally aggressive, "a breed to be cautious of", etc. Also, while I know some people obtain Pits, etc. for dog fighting, guard dogs, etc., the majority of Pits on this planet are GOOD dogs. Although the raising of the dog and proper/ill treatment throughout his/her lifetime has alot to do with how he/she is when an adult, there ARE certain cases where this has proved otherwise..... one in particular, an ex-bait Pit Bull (pure bred) we rescued a while back.

We took her in as a stray off the streets and without a doubt she was previously and recently (at that time) used as a bait dog in dog fights. She had scars from head to toe, her ear was ripped, and so was her tongue. She had also been bred over and over. She was THE MOST SWEETEST DOG on the face of the earth. She was dog friendly, cat friendly, people friendly (including kids), etc. She did not once show any aggression towards humans or other dogs, despite the horrible, horrible things she was put through and forced to endure; though she was only very shy, timid, and still needed to gain her trust of humans back 100%. She was extremely gentle, and while in her foster home, even played with the kittens her foster mom was taking care of.-- The kittens would play on the couch and fall off, so she would take them in her mouth, like the mother cat, and put them back on the couch.

Long story short, she was adopted by a wonderful family who has an autistic little boy; the perfect home, as like I said, she was so gentle, easy going, and patient.

We have also adopted out a partially deaf Staffie to a marine family with a little baby girl, a Mastiff/Pit mix to a family with a baby and a younger child, and two pure bred Pits (to the same family, but at different times) to a family who has two young kids and an older one.-- This is just a small handful of the wonderful Pits, Staffies, and their mixes we have rescued and placed.

In conclusion, dog aggression is not inherited; and therefore you can not breed a dog that is aggressive to produce offspring that are born automatically aggressive. On the other hand, you may breed a dog that has agility, endurance, a lean body, etc. for such physical traits that CAN be supportive when TRAINING a dog to be aggressive and fight.

I just ran into an issue such as this with a dog trainer we work with. His theory, as stated above, was wrong, and my theory was correct. How do I know this?-- I knew I was correct in my thinking AND knew the dog's personality/disposition very well, adopted the dog out to the family I was planning to (they adopted from us in the past, and we explained the trainer's view as well as my own, and they agreed with me) and the dog is now still living happily in the home with no issues at all as the trainer was indicating would occur because of aggression being "genetic".

We have always owned a Pit/Pit mix and they are the best family dogs, for the right type of family who is a strong pack leader (just as requested of many other breeds of dog as well).

Also, a funny thing I always though was extremely stupid of people.... People always hear of Pit Bulls being "naturally aggressive", and they think that is why the dog fighters chose their breed to use as fighting dogs. Some people also think that not only are Pit Bulls "naturally dog aggressive", but they must be "naturally human aggressive" too. IF that were the case and the Pit Bull breed was "naturally human aggressive" then the dog fighters would NOT have chosen their breed to train to be aggressive, to train to fight, and to work with heavily on a regular basis. IF that were the case, the dogs would be mauling their handlers and there would be no dog fighting at all, because then everybody involved in the training process of the dog would be dead!

I too find it hard to believe how some people can just fall into believing the lies of how certain dogs breeds are naturally aggressive (Pits, Staffies, Rotties, Dobies, Shepards, etc.)-- many of these breeds now "banned" in certain rental properties, banned for some insurance companies, and banned in some military bases. It just goes to show you how mindless some people can be and not think for themselves, or think a situation through before making judgments, and choosing to agree with other people who obviously have no clue what they are talking about.

bllauben

5 Year Member
Marine City, Michigan
It sickens me how almost every single dog attack that makes the news involves pitbulls. You NEVER hear about a labrador or a poodle or some other "less aggressive" dog in a dog attack. I've been bit by a coon hound a few times. I've been bit by a siberian husky. My lab was so protective of me that he was agressive towards people he did not like. Yet, you did not hear about it on the news. It sickens me!

Some of the nicest dogs I've met were pit bulls. It's not the dog that is the trouble... it's the idiots who think they are tough stuff and have no care in the world for their dog's welfare...mental or physical.

All dogs have the capablities to bite. If an animal has teeth, under the right circumstances, it is going to bite, regardless of it's personality. That's just a fact of life. But because, according to societial misconceptions, if it is a pit bull or a staffy, they are one of the only few animals that will bite. Something's wrong there!

Status
Not open for further replies.