forgive me...i have another question!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachamelia

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Charleston, South Carolina
I was hoping someone could help me.clear up a few issues.

One : how often should I be soaking my 7 month old sully? And at what temp.water?

Two : should i actually be leaving some.sort of water dish in his enclosure?

Three : is there a blood test available for sexing?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Rachamelia:

There's no reason for you to think you need to ask forgiveness for asking questions here on the forum. After all, what would a forum be without questions? BORING!!!

Soak every day in slightly warm water for about 15 minutes. When he gets to be a year old, you can soak every other day.

I have waterers in every enclosure.

No blood test. There hasn't been any science done on tortoises or their blood. Some species are being tested, but nothing yet on DNA or sexing. A vet can surgically look inside the cloaca and look for male or female parts, but its expensive and invasive. I wouldn't do it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with Yvonne.

All my enclosures have some thing in it that holds water and allows for my tortoises to have a drink or self soak if they like.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I also agree with Yvonne, but would soak for a good 20 minutes once a day. Do it first thing before he's warmed up properly and it'll work better :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OMG! You come on to a tortoise forum and want to ask questions about how to care for your tortoise? What's wrong with you!!!?

Hehehe. Kidding, of course.

What is the weight, in grams, of your tortoise? I soak babies every day for the first six months or so. Once they start putting on some size, around 4", I might start to skip a day here or there and only soak 5-6 days a week. If they are still small, I would continue soaking every day, no matter the age. Once mine hit about a year and somewhere near 800-1000 grams, I gradually relax a bit on the soaking and cut it to around 3-4 times a week. But this depends on the weather too. If its really hot and dry, I soak more. If its cooler and or overcast, or its been raining, I soak a little less.

I keep water bowls in all my enclosures too. I use terra cotta plant saucers for this. They are shallow, easy to get in and out of, and cheap.

I agree with Yvonne on the sexing part. Just wait a couple more years and we'll probably be able to tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.