Found a snapper baby in my chicken's beak

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I have two Silverlace wyandottes, they are great. It's fun to have a mixed flock of different kinds and colors. It's amazing that people don't realize the chickens are not vegetarian. They will go after all kinds of things, rats, mice, lizards snakes etc.
:eek: I had no idea they ate anything bigger than a bug! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Don't forget turtles! :p
A couple of years ago, Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries explored the contents of an eagle's nest to see what they are currently eating. One of their biologists climbed up a tree by one of the rivers. What he found was a LOT of turtle shells, but only 2 species: Razor Back Musk and a type of map turtle that has knobs on its carapace (I forget the exact name). They guessed that those 2 species were the ones most caught because the shapes of the shell gives the eagle something to grasp. They also found a :eek: cat jaw-bone and cat collar! :(

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm going to set up the 40 gallon tank tonight with the filter, I've heard of "new tank syndrome"...are there steps I should take while setting up a new tank? I have water conditioner (for turtles) and sludge remover (also for turtles), if needed. The smaller tank has been getting gross really fast but I figured that was due to a lack of a filter.

Yes, filter will help a lot. Lots of hiding areas. Lots of plants. I'd put in a sandy substrate as well. He is still very small so he will be looking for protection. Look up "Bauri Bob" on YouTube. He regularly rehabs and releases hatchlings. Have always liked his setups.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Yes, filter will help a lot. Lots of hiding areas. Lots of plants. I'd put in a sandy substrate as well. He is still very small so he will be looking for protection. Look up "Bauri Bob" on YouTube. He regularly rehabs and releases hatchlings. Have always liked his setups.
I will look him up, thank you! I'll pick up sand tomorrow to add in. How deep should the water be? Right now it is about twice as deep as the length of his shell but I'm unsure if I should add more since he doesn't swim well? He definitely can get around, he just seems awkward about it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I absolutely adore these turtles and the babies are irresistible. I hope all goes well whatever the outcome. I know if it was me, that I would keep him if I could do so and provide the best possible captive conditions for him.
Women and babies. The mothering instinct......can't beat it.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I absolutely adore these turtles and the babies are irresistible. I hope all goes well whatever the outcome. I know if it was me, that I would keep him if I could do so and provide the best possible captive conditions for him.
Women and babies. The mothering instinct......can't beat it.
My mom often tells me this is why I have so many animals...because I don't have human kids.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
So I finally got the filter running right, had a heck of a time getting it to prime. I have an issue though, the diffuser (I think that is what it is called) only extends into the tank a few inches, which would make sense if the tank was full of water for fish or whatever. But since the water level is so low and only about 4 inches deep, the incoming water is pouring into the tank and making a ton of noise and creating a lot of splashing. It is also causing a lot of movement in the water and now the snapper is having a hard time eating since his food is moving around and he is not that agile. I was thinking of trying to find a taller aquarium decoration that the water can run down, like a waterfall almost, to see if that helps. Does anyone have any suggestions?

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
So I finally got the filter running right, had a heck of a time getting it to prime. I have an issue though, the diffuser (I think that is what it is called) only extends into the tank a few inches, which would make sense if the tank was full of water for fish or whatever. But since the water level is so low and only about 4 inches deep, the incoming water is pouring into the tank and making a ton of noise and creating a lot of splashing. It is also causing a lot of movement in the water and now the snapper is having a hard time eating since his food is moving around and he is not that agile. I was thinking of trying to find a taller aquarium decoration that the water can run down, like a waterfall almost, to see if that helps. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Is it a submersible or canister? If canister, just lower the tubing or, as you said, place something under the outlet. If it is a submersible, you can just flip it sideways.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Is it a submersible or canister? If canister, just lower the tubing or, as you said, place something under the outlet. If it is a submersible, you can just flip it sideways.
Canister. I'll try the tubing, if not I'll have to find a tall aquarium decoration. Thanks!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I used an extra piece of the clear tubing that came with the filter to extend the diffuser. I actually removed the elbow piece and the diffuser piece and just put the tube on so the water flows out the end of the tube. Seems to be working much better and "Scratch" (as in chicken scratch) likes to sit where there is water moving over his shell.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used an extra piece of the clear tubing that came with the filter to extend the diffuser. I actually removed the elbow piece and the diffuser piece and just put the tube on so the water flows out the end of the tube. Seems to be working much better and "Scratch" (as in chicken scratch) likes to sit where there is water moving over his shell.

That sounds lovely. I'd sure like to see it for myself… hint hint...