Found a tortoise on the road.

Adel Haddad

Location (City and/or State)
Amman, Jordan
Interesting. Where in Amman did you find all that?

Your answer would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sorry, I think I might of misunderstood you. The lamps, bulbs, humidity reader, thermostat and the moss pad were purchased from pampered pets. The other things were purchased from ace and a few gardening shops. @Gillian Moore

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
What great news for Gillian that there is a pet store there.

Adel Haddad

Amman, Jordan
This is what we ended up with last night. We still did not find a suitable UVB light and I am struggling to bring up the humidity to 70%. The temperature gage reads 98 currently while the humidity is about 55%. Additionally, how often should my tortoise be eating and how much. Is rabbit hay a good sort of food for pluto?

Attachments

• IMG_20160921_202308.jpg
    IMG_20160921_202308.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20160921_203016.jpg
    IMG_20160921_203016.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20160921_203653.jpg
    IMG_20160921_203653.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20160921_204621.jpg
    IMG_20160921_204621.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20160921_232733.jpg
    IMG_20160921_232733.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20160921_232741.jpg
    IMG_20160921_232741.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20160921_232818.jpg
    IMG_20160921_232818.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry, I think I might of misunderstood you. The lamps, bulbs, humidity reader, thermostat and the moss pad were purchased from pampered pets. The other things were purchased from ace and a few gardening shops. @Gillian Moore

Do not worry. We all make mistakes.;)

And many thanks your help and the valuable info. :D

M

Maggie Cummings

Adel .....I just wanted to tell you how proud I am that you are so willing to make your new baby set up correctly. If he gets a bad start in life, it will affect the rest of his life, seriously.
No, rabbit hay is not good enough. Too coarse for babies. I realize you are in the desert, and not many of us Americans understand your situation, so please be patient with us.
I order ALL my lighting on line. They pack them really good, so they don't break in shipping. So don't worry about that.
Do your stores have produce? Can you get lettuce? Or Kale? Or rocket? Any type of green leaf lettuce 'cept iceburg. I'd stop the cucumbers. Can you get squash?
Remember to really pay attention to what Yvonne told you about the lights....
You should feed him a decent handful morning and night. Keep his 'sun' on for 12 hrs a day. But remember, he IS a baby, so he will sleep a lot. You made him a 'cave' that was good. We call them "hides" But he'll sleep in there to feel safe, and to get out of the bright light.
You can pour water over his substrate when you get some, go on line and look for "coconut coir" then you can keep a damp substrate and that will create the needed humidity. Remember his temps need to keep his insides at 85 degrees or over so he can digest his food. I cut my babies food to mouthful bites, some keepers don't.
Please stay and keep asking questions.
Welcome, from the Pacific North West.

M

Maggie Cummings

Adel....I forgot, if you can get him some of your Jordanian sun, a few hrs a week, with shade, you don't have to get him a UVB light.
I guess I just made a fool of myself, you have substrate, dampen it down, Pour the water in one corner, so the top kinda stays dry, but the water should run under the soil and wet it. There's your humidity, if you need more, cover the top with aluminum foil....that will keep the humidity in.....

Taco*mom

Adel, so you found a hatchling on the road?! What an unforgettable rescue! How exactly did you find it? I don't think one can see a hatchling very well on the dirt/road. You must have good eyes!

HappyHermanns

Rochester, Michigan
Can someone please help me identify his/her type. Total noob when it comes to reptiles.

And if anyone can advise me on the diet and required habitat. We have a dog and a cat, i don't trust the cat... something about her eyes... So i would prefer to have a closed enclosure for Pluto "the tortoise, i think, or is he/she a turtle??"

Please see the attached images, I have bought him this home, which is designed for hamsters i believe, the pet shop had great chameleon housings but were very expensive, couldn't find anything better, placed a layer of sand and rocks as seen in the image. I live in Jordan/Middle East.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

View attachment 187360 View attachment 187361 View attachment 187362 View attachment 187363 View attachment 187364 View attachment 187365
Your Tort is Adorable!!!

Adel Haddad

Amman, Jordan
Adel, so you found a hatchling on the road?! What an unforgettable rescue! How exactly did you find it? I don't think one can see a hatchling very well on the dirt/road. You must have good eyes!
He was next to the dumpster. I spotted him while throwing out the garbage. My eyesight is perfect... when I have my glasses on :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Good evening @Adel Haddad . How's your cute little tort doing, now that temperature is beginning to....drop? Hope all is fine. :)

Adel Haddad

Amman, Jordan
Good evening @Gillian Moore . The temp gage reads 95F and humidity 65%. He's currently eating and I m soaking twice to three times a day. I think he's doing fine. He spends most of the day sleeping though. Is that fine?

Adel Haddad

Amman, Jordan
Due to the temperature drop, my little guy has been laying under the basking area for nearly an hour. I decided to soak him an additional time and placed him a new hut near the hot area. After I soaked "pluto", he directly went back to basking. Does it mean he's still cold. Is this fine? The temp gage reads 92F. He is also doing this pumping action with his head and legs. Is this normal?

Thank you for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good evening @Gillian Moore . The temp gage reads 95F and humidity 65%. He's currently eating and I m soaking twice to three times a day. I think he's doing fine. He spends most of the day sleeping though. Is that fine?
Glad to hear Pluto is doing well. Sleeping most of the time is fine, especially for a hatchling.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
The head and leg pumping is just Pluto breathing. Sounds like you've made him a pretty nice home!

Adel Haddad

Amman, Jordan
I guess we found Pluto's parents. My uncle told us that they have had two tortoises living in there garden for the past 15 years. They've been living outside with no protection and are adults now. They also mentioned seeing hatchlings all around but none of them survive because of the cats that roam the yard. They seem to be happy and healthy, but very dirty. Would you guys suggest us doing anything for them? Anyways I just wanted to share the news and thank you again for all the help you've given us, It is all much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20160924_152907.jpg
    IMG_20160924_152907.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20160924_152924.jpg
    IMG_20160924_152924.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20160924_153115.jpg
    IMG_20160924_153115.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20160924_153126.jpg
    IMG_20160924_153126.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Adel,and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you from sunny Morocco.
You, Gillian and i face many of the same problems in the upkeep of our tortoises.
Can you get prickly pear at this time of year where you are ?
This is very good for our Greeks, both pads and fruit are excellent and popular nourishment.
Have a look at this food list to see what you can get.
http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
I expect turnip greens are also available at this time of year.
It's a shame about all the hatchlings.
The parents don't look too bad, if they've managed 15 years then I think they'll cope for a bit longer.
I know myself that it's impossible to take them all in.
And they rather seem to enjoy being mucky.