Found a tortoise

Cecy

Hi! 5 days ago, I found this tortoise in my backyard. I've been looking for the owners, but no luck. I put up pictures of the tortoise around my neighborhood and posted them of facebook to see if someone claims it. This is a very active tortoise! I would like to know what kind of tortoise it is because I don't know if I am taking good care of it. Thank youtugo1.jpg tugo2.jpg

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Welcome! That's definitely a Russian, good luck! How are you keeping it until then?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree on the Russian part. Please read the caresheet for adult Russian in the Russian section. If you can't care for him or find his owner, look for a tortoise rescue in your area to turn him over too. If you decide to keep him, we will help you to get him set up right.

Souptugo

5 Year Member
Yup you could start off with feeding him on a hard slate surface to get the beak to naturally trim itself down.

It's definitely a him from the long swinging tail.

Cecy

I had to do some research because I don't have any experience with tortoises. I am keeping it in a large plastic bin. During the day I take it outside with some shade and some sunshine. Also, once in a while I let it walk around the house for some excersice. I'm feeding it with romaine lettuce, kale, spinach and yesterday I started to add calcium with vitamin d3 to it's food. I offer it water everyday but I've seen it drink water just twice in the last three days. I hope I find the owners soon because my family and I are getting attached to it.
By the way, I am located in southern CA

Last edited:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Don't let it roam the house, way too many dangers for him. They are hard wired to graze all day so he'll try to eat every little thing on the floor to include dust bunnies, extension cords etc etc. plus he can get stepped on, a door closed on him... wedged under the fridge. The floor of the house is just not a safe place is all :)

Feel free to get attached to him ;)

Torts are awesome

Cecy

Don't let it roam the house, way too many dangers for him. They are hard wired to graze all day so he'll try to eat every little thing on the floor to include dust bunnies, extension cords etc etc. plus he can get stepped on, a door closed on him... wedged under the fridge. The floor of the house is just not a safe place is all :)

Feel free to get attached to him ;)

Torts are awesome
how can I get him to excercise more without him being exposed to dangerous things? any advice?

enzot91

5 Year Member
Scotland
how can I get him to excercise more without him being exposed to dangerous things? any advice?

Are you going to keep him? The answer to that depends on whether you're willing to spend money to set up a proper enclosure.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
If you can set up with an inside enclosure of 4'x8' and some outside space he'll have room to roam for exercise

Cecy

Are you going to keep him? The answer to that depends on whether you're willing to spend money to set up a proper enclosure.
I'm trying to find the owners before taking any decision but the thing is that my family and I are getting attached to him. I dont know how long do I have to wait for the owners to claim him :-/

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
I'm trying to find the owners before taking any decision but the thing is that my family and I are getting attached to him. I dont know how long do I have to wait for the owners to claim him :-/
Russians are notorious escapees; and you are looking at one of many possibilities....lost pet; that's been gone so long no one is looking anymore. Or some one who tired of caring for it and turned it loose to make it on it's own...(usually a death sentence). Or someone who is looking and just hasn't seen notices or post yet. 2 out of 3 is pretty good odds that hes going to stay. How long you wait or how extensive your search for his origins; is totally up to you. Ask yourself how long would you search and wait for a pet's return. And if you do find it's owner and have to return it. Think of it as a learning experience for finding one that needs a new home. There are others sitting in rescues and humane societies that are waiting for a forever home.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
My Russian is an escapee also; also in Southern California.

I can't advise you on your long term decision but I will ask if you've soaked the tortoise, in addition to offering water? In my mind, a Russian that's taken two drinks out of a bowl is fairly thirsty.

Cecy

I can't advise you on your long term decision but I will ask if you've soaked the tortoise, in addition to offering water? In my mind, a Russian that's taken two drinks out of a bowl is fairly thirsty.[/QUOT

I can't advise you on your long term decision but I will ask if you've soaked the tortoise, in addition to offering water? In my mind, a Russian that's taken two drinks out of a bowl is fairly thirsty.
For how long do I need to soak him and how often?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
For how long do I need to soak him and how often?

I don't feel the need to soak my Russian as often as others but since you just found her, I'd soak him every day for a week or so.

He may not like soaks; mine sure didn't. I now use a technique I used from @JoesMum. I get a tall sided tub of some kind, something she can't see out of so she stops trying to climb out. In the morning, which she's not warm or moving around, I fill up the tub to about one inch, or to the line that divides the top and bottom of her shell.

I use water that's around ninety degrees (baby temperature warm?). I take the tub to where she is; I don't carry her far, it's stressful.

I put her in the tub and then I go away! I don't watch her, at least not close up. She might clamber for a minute but usually chills out after that.

In the spring, when she comes out of hibernation, I leave her in about twenty minutes for a few days. The rest of the time, ten minutes or so is about all she can handle; when she gets really restless I take her out.

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Soaking doesn't hurt a tortoise, there is no harm in doing it longer or more often. I just haven't found that she wants or needs it. She's from an arid climate and doesn't need it as much as some other types of tortoise.

You'll quickly find that we recommend daily soaks for just about all new tortoises or possible ailments! It also stimulates their appetites and while I don't think your tortoise is starving, she looks less plump to me than she might, as least for spring time, when they are voracious eaters. Is she eating well for you? The diet you have her on is okay for now, but she'd be bettter off with spring mix, which usually contains bitter greens, like frisee, radicchio, and endive. The Ready Pac Santa Barbara mix is available at my Albertson's and some Smart and Finals, That variety is a really good mix: easy to find and serve. But really, typically anything labeled spring mix or perhaps Italian or spicy mix is a good bet.

Last edited: