found in backyard ! Help

Pvalerie

Location (City and/or State)
El Paso Texas
I live in El Paso Texas and found this little guy in my backyard. I noticed my dogs barking outside and when i went to see what was happening i noticed it was a turtle. I’m not sure what to do with it or where to put it , what to feed it, if it needs to be near water ? i need some tips on how to care for it please ! I’ve only had water turtles but never this kind

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll try to help, but we need to see it to know what kind of help to give.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome to the forum and we do need to have a photo to ID the little one.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We can help if we know the species, however, if it's native it needs to go back where it was found.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

Awww it’s a box turtle!!!! Cute!!!! They are omnivorous, I believe and can eat lots of stuff including worms/bugs, cooked egg, greens, fruit, mushrooms. Someone, please correct me if I’m messing up here. Darn! I can’t think of any user id of our boxie keepers!!! We have many! Great ones!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looks like an Ornate box turtle, or maybe eastern? Either way native to TX. Don't take it anywhere to let it go. Release it close to where you found it.

Destben

Kansas
Aww Box turtle for sure. Leave it be if it is wild or put it somewhere out of danger. It can be illegal to touch them in some states so its best if left alone.Try and keep them going the way that they were so they don't get lost. say if it was crossing the road you ant to move it to the other side and off the road facing the way it was going.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Beak looks odd like it was a pet whose beak got way overgrown and trimmed (to my non-expert seld anyway).