Found Russian Tortoise in Brookfield Illinois

Tommyboy3454

Location (City and/or State)
Brookfield, Illinoise
Found walking down my sidewalk while walking my dogs. Not sure what to do but don’t want to just let it go unless I really have to. I don’t know if it would survive our winter. Any help greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_9877.jpeg
    IMG_9877.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Found walking down my sidewalk while walking my dogs. Not sure what to do but don’t want to just let it go unless I really have to. I don’t know if it would survive our winter. Any help greatly appreciated.
Hello!
Looks like it's an escaped pet tortoise. It needs some bathing in lukewarm water (shallow, up to level where bottom and top shell meet) and some greens - kale, cilantro, arugula (from grocery store) or mulberry/hibiscus leaves if you have some.

You can check care details here (mostly for diet):

Try posting on Nextdoor, FB to search for owners. Ask for the photos to prove ownership - shell scutes have some asymmetry and it's easy to verify.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
So s/he has a REALLY unusual scute pattern on its back so that should make identifying it easy for anyone who has pictures. But s/he needs a really good soak...

Also consider posting on 24pet connect and reporting to your local shelter, but again make sure they show pictures before claiming.

1718296618638.png

Tommyboy3454

Brookfield, Illinoise
Not releasing. Soaking it now. Set up a large bin with potting soil. Bought collard, turnip greens and squash to feed it. Seems very friendly and curious.

Attachments

• IMG_9882.jpeg
    IMG_9882.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Not releasing. Soaking it now. Set up a large bin with potting soil. Bought collard, turnip greens and squash to feed it. Seems very friendly and curious.
NO POTTING SOIL. very bad for it, also no squash.

Can you run out to a reptile store and buy a simple back of coco coir? When I got my russian rescue i got a bag of zoo med coco chips which wasn't ideal, but better than potting soil.

For food right now from a grocery store stick to endive, radicchio, frissee, dandelion greens (aka chickory), and escarole.

That beak is long, s/he hasn't had the best care

Tommyboy3454

Brookfield, Illinoise
NO POTTING SOIL. very bad for it, also no squash.

Can you run out to a reptile store and buy a simple back of coco coir? When I got my russian rescue i got a bag of zoo med coco chips which wasn't ideal, but better than potting soil.

For food right now from a grocery store stick to endive, radicchio, frissee, dandelion greens (aka chickory), and escarole.

That beak is long, s/he hasn't had the best care
Ok. Doing this now.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Ok. Doing this now.
If you have questions please ask them here. The pet stores don't know a lot about tortoise care especially where you live. They will sell you incorrect items. Especially lighting. Coco coir and repti bark would be great substrate.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi please advertise locally as they are renown escape artists and potentially there is an anxious owner.
However looking at the pic the tort is dry and very dehydrated.
Please have a read of this

If no owner materialises then give it the best set up you can provide. If you take a pic of the tail we may be able to advise male or female. This is only visible the more mature they are but this look like it has lived a few years.

Tommyboy3454

Brookfield, Illinoise
Hi please advertise locally as they are renown escape artists and potentially there is an anxious owner.
However looking at the pic the tort is dry and very dehydrated.
Please have a read of this

If no owner materialises then give it the best set up you can provide. If you take a pic of the tail we may be able to advise male or female. This is only visible the more mature they are but this look like it has lived a few years.
Can you tell from these pics if it’s male or female?

Attachments

• IMG_9883.jpeg
    IMG_9883.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9884.jpeg
    IMG_9884.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum. All the right advice is being offered, so stick with us!