Found Small Turtle in Yard

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Step dad found this turtle in his yard...or I should say the dog found it. Don't know what kind it is as I don't know much about turtles (I have tortoises) and don't know where it came from, there are no ponds around the neighborhood. Anyway, it looks young maybe 3 inches. Help! What do we feed the little guy? Sorry, not a very good quality pic. He has little yellow lines on the sides of his face and some red also.

Turtle.jpg

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Clearer pics would be better but I might guess that it's a red eared slider.
Where do you live? Usually with any turtles/torts you find you're supposed to leave them alone and let them go.
But RES's are non-native species in a lot of areas and are actually invasive now.
If it's a RES its gonna require a pretty decent sized indoor tank for swimming (or a pond outside).
Usually they'll much on store bought pellets (Reptomin is good though my guys have shedding issues so I give hikari wheat germ pellets) and red leaf lettuce along with aquatic plants like water hyacinths and water lettuce.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
I live in San Antonio TX. He was found in a residential area in my step dads back yard. Can't imagine where it came from. Like I said no ponds or creeks in the area just residential. I'll take some better pictures later this evening. I have a water fountain I haven't turned on yet for the spring and I have him there with water and I put a rock so he can climb onto. Picked up some aquatic turtle food at the grocery store and gave him 2 pellets. I actually caught him eating that. I have an old aquarium that I can clean out and house him there this evening. How big do they get?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Not a great photo, but looks like a RES to me too. They are native to Texas. I am not sure what the legality of keeping him is.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Could be a Rio Grande Slider maybe?
I'm not sure how big they get but if they're anything like RES's then the females usually get around 12-14inches long. Males get around 8-10 inches.
It's usually recommended to have 200 gallons for one female slider. So they're gonna get big.
Might've been dropped off by a bird or something that was going to eat it or it was someone's escaped/dumped pet.
If it's a native species then you should bring it to a local pond/freshwater body and release it. But again, I don't know for sure what species it is.
While I love love love my RES's, I don't really recommend keeping aquatic turtles as pets simply because keeping them in tanks is a lot of work with upgrading and making sure they have enough room. Unless you have a pond that is safe from predators and totally enclosed so they can't escape. RES's are crazy escape artists.

If RES's are native to Texas and not an invasive species then I would definitely find a pond to release them or even talk to a local rescue and see what the best procedure is for them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like he's not had the best of care. His shell should be green.

Anyway...he probably escaped from one of your neighbor's back yards.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Thx to all...you were right. .i got home to find an empty fountain where i put him yesterday. ..luckily i found him heading toward the side gate where im sure he would have gone right under. That fountain is about a foot deep but he got out. Ive decided to keep him in an aquarium i have and take care of him for a while then release him later this summer in our san antonio river. Ive seen several turtles swimming in there. Im just afraid a bird will take off with him cause hes so small. I also know if a rescue just outside sa that i can also call. Thx again to all!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Thx to all...you were right. .i got home to find an empty fountain where i put him yesterday. ..luckily i found him heading toward the side gate where im sure he would have gone right under. That fountain is about a foot deep but he got out. Ive decided to keep him in an aquarium i have and take care of him for a while then release him later this summer in our san antonio river. Ive seen several turtles swimming in there. Im just afraid a bird will take off with him cause hes so small. I also know if a rescue just outside sa that i can also call. Thx again to all!

Any updates on the lil guy?