Found this tortoise in my backyard

Super_kangaroo

About the size of a large grapefruit, orange spots on its neck and face, orange and yellow spots on its front legs, has one eye but seems healthy and fairly friendly. Theres a lage pond/small lake a few streets over, should I just go put it in there?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Can you post a picture?

It sounds like a very nice looking eastern box turtle (assuming you're in the US)...the picture would tell us for sure though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. No, please don't do,that. Post a picture of it so we can ID it. Also, where in the world do you live? If it's not native to where you live then its someone's pet and won't survive outside of captivity.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Unless conservation in TX marks their Box turtles like that for some count, then I would say it's someone's pet. Can you keep it and set it up in a temp housing until you can put up flyers to find the owners? Then, if you don't find them, keep it or try to rehome it.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That looks like a three toe box turtle to me. Welcome to the forum.

You may want to put up some poster on the pole with a photo. S/he can be very possible a pet for someone near by.

Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, that's a three toe box turtle - Terrapene carolina triunguis. Because of the etching I'd also agree it's an escaped pet.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A cute little tortoise. ;)

And a very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Any news?
Did you find the owners?
It may be worth asking at local vets and animal rescue centres to see if anybody has reported their beloved pet missing.
Maybe try Craigslist, though don't give the details of the etching, you can use this to confirm the true owner of the turtle.
Good luck!

Berkeley

It is a three-toed box turtle, and they are found in the Houston area from what I know. So it is a native.

The carving does not necessarily make it someone's pet, though. My guess is it is supposed to read '1980', as in, when someone found it. People are known to do that, and then if they see the turtle again, they know it is the same one, and when it was first found. Nowadays, researchers notch the marginal scutes by filing a particular set of scales in a particular pattern. It is much more discrete.

In regards to what to do with it, I would put it right back out in your yard (unless you have a dog- then put it outside your fence). Your yard is part of its home range, and that is the territory that it knows best. So I would leave it right where you found it and count yourself lucky to have a turtle that lives on your property!
--Berkeley

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I agree with the above . I've found marked wild box turtles here . Herpetologist from A&M college do research on them . I'd put it outside right where you found it . It will come back . I have four or five come into my yard every year . Friendly little guys . I give the mazrui my tortoises don't eat . I have a compost pile I find them sleeping winter away in . Then in spring they munch on the worms in the compost .

JennK

Eastern or three toed box turtle. Definetly native and I would actually sat wild BECAUSE of the carving! As before mentioned back in the day people would carve their initials or dates in the shells of box turtles. This has since been found cruel and is no longer practiced.