Found this Tortoise..Please Help Me ID/Possible Health Issues

apsoccergrl

Hey everyone,

I found this tortoise outside today and it doesn't look like it's in great shape. Can you help me ID him/her? It looks like possible old shell rot on the plastron but I'm not sure, if I could get some opinions that would be great.
IMG_9187.JPGIMG_9188.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9190.JPG
    IMG_9190.JPG
    717.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9191.JPG
    IMG_9191.JPG
    834.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9192.JPG
    IMG_9192.JPG
    797.2 KB · Views: 40

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Looks like a three toed box turtle that was a pet who either escaped or was released. Whoever had it kept it too dry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a pretty sick three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis).

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Please post some more pics of its head so we can see both eyes.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise forum to you and your boxie.
Please check out our box turtle forum for lots of good information and ensure it has plenty of soaks.

apsoccergrl

It's a pretty sick three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis).

Thank you everyone. I soaked him in some warm water to help open his eyes, and set up a temporary enclosure pictured below. I plan on misting it 2-3 times a day and continuing the soaks. I also gave him a meal of shredded lettuce, carrot, raspberry, cricket and mealworm but he didn't touch it. I imagine he/she is pretty stressed out. What do you recommend I do to help his other health problems? I will make an appointment to have his beak trimmed tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_9193.JPG
    IMG_9193.JPG
    263.3 KB · Views: 31

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
It needs a warm end of the unclosure, about 84f, and a cool end at 78f. You need a source of uv light, either a flourescent tube and a ceramic heat emitter or a mercury vapor bulb, which can provide both. Try offering some earthworms and some blackberries or strawberries. My box turtles also love butternut squash. You can get it fresh and boil it until soft or buy some precooked in the frozen aisle of the grocery store. As you said, it is probably pretty stressed, give it some time to get used to its new home. You are already giving it better care than it got in the past.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello and Welcome! Thank You for taking the time in caring for this 3 toed! Poor thing is in rough shape! Hope it can make a full recovery. Keep us posted.

Bdeuley

Hey everyone,

I found this tortoise outside today and it doesn't look like it's in great shape. Can you help me ID him/her? It looks like possible old shell rot on the plastron but I'm not sure, if I could get some opinions that would be great.
View attachment 202440View attachment 202441
Needs help pretty bad
Vitimins, minerals and a B 12 for sure hope you have a decent reptile vet in your area!
The other tips such as temp water baths etc are also good ideas!