Help with ID please!

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
If the larger one is over 3 years old, how big should he be? Currently he weighs 3 1/2 ounces and is 3 1/4 inches long and 2 1/4 wide. He is now named Mango!

The little guy is Kiwi and weighs 1 ounce, 2 inches long and 1 5/8 wide.

What should I expect for a growth rate?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Aw, they look happier already! Petco and Petsmart will sell worms and crickets. I have found that I have bad luck with Walmart worms when I bought them for fishing bait (dead a lot), but maybe my Walmart just sucks.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Can I just place them in the tub? How many do u put in at a time?

If you let em loose in your bin, they'll be a good hunting activity for the boxies and help eat scraps and poo. Try red wigglers. They're smaller than nightcrawlers. Or you can put em on a dish. Up to you!

AZTorts

Arizona

So far, after two, going on three years, I've had good luck with Walmart bait worms. I think they might be fresher than what you might get at the pet store but I could be wrong. My turtles were already grown when I got them so I don't know how many you would feed to littler ones. I would try a few at a time and see how it goes. I have no idea what their growth rate is either. I'm trying to figure it out for my baby desert tortoises. LOL I've done what you did, weighed and measured them and I'm keeping a log. They have already grown and gained weight since I got them. I like the names you picked out for your turts.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
So far, after two, going on three years, I've had good luck with Walmart bait worms. I think they might be fresher than what you might get at the pet store but I could be wrong.

I used to work at Petco, we got worm shipments twice per week.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I tried just putting nightcrawlers in my boxie enclosures. It did not work for me. They just eat them all as fast as they can and gorge themselves.

Both of my boxies turned 3 years old this summer. Mine are both larger than your larger one, but I'm assuming since yours are rescues they did not have great care. That would explain the being smaller.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
I tried just putting nightcrawlers in my boxie enclosures. It did not work for me. They just eat them all as fast as they can and gorge themselves.

Both of my boxies turned 3 years old this summer. Mine are both larger than your larger one, but I'm assuming since yours are rescues they did not have great care. That would explain the being smaller.

Hopefully they will start growing and looking healthier soon. :/ I feel bad for them.

Have you seen any dominant issues with yours?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Hopefully they will start growing and looking healthier soon. :/ I feel bad for them.

They are not as sassy as torts usually, but it's something to keep an eye on, because it can definitely happen!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio

Yes, mine cannot be housed together. The larger of the two seems to bully the other one. I've never tried housing them together. But if I take them both out at the same time there are problems. So I just house them separately. Yours seem to be doing fine though.

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
They are not as sassy as torts usually, but it's something to keep an eye on.

We put night crawlers and meal worms in their tub and in different places, they both went after the same worm like two little kids. Mango bit into kiwis leg and wouldn't let go. I about had a heart attack!

KatieandKyle

5 Year Member
I don't think they have ever been fed live food so it was an all out battle. It was awful. I'm worried, I feel like I need to separate....

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Sometimes they just miss (and if she had a coil bulb a leg could easily look worm-ish!), but if you see it happening repeatedly or other signs of aggression I would separate.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
We put night crawlers and meal worms in their tub and in different places, they both went after the same worm like two little kids. Mango bit into kiwis leg and wouldn't let go. I about had a heart attack!
Next time do not let mealworms into the tub loose. Nightcrawlers, red wigglers, pill bugs are good to let loose. Never mealworms. Those need to be fed out of a dish they cannot escape from.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Did you put a lot of mealworms in the bin?

AZTorts

Arizona
I don't believe this. I was just telling you about last year's snake so I go outside to feed the turtles and tortoises and water the garden and what do I see? A bull snake in the garden! I wonder if it's the same one from last year? I'm not worried about the turtles because they are too big but I brought the tortoises in for the night! Bull snake 003.JPG