Frag tank for horsefield tortoise

Churst1997

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
I’m looking into ideas for a bigger enclosure for my daughter’s horsefield tortoise, he is currently in a 120x60 wooden table. Would a glass or acrylic frag tank be suitable?

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
If you can find one that is 8ft by 4 ft (230cm x 120cm) and your tort is an adult then it could work yes, bear in mind that it also needs to be around 18 inches deep as well.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's very common for newer keepers of Russian tortoises to assume that since they're small, they don't need much room. But they're actually one of the more active species and cover large areas in the wild.
They need room to do well in captivity.
I'm sorry. But I don't know what a frag tank is. But if it's like a terrarium. Yes.
Just on the extra large side.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's very common for newer keepers of Russian tortoises to assume that since they're small, they don't need much room. But they're actually one of the more active species and cover large areas in the wild.
They need room to do well in captivity.
I'm sorry. But I don't know what a frag tank is. But if it's like a terrarium. Yes.
Just on the extra large side.
Frags are coral frags, so it's an aquarium. No aquarium remade is big enough for a Russian. A special order one could be.

Churst1997

Essex
I know he needs a bigger enclosure hence why I’m looking into new ones and frag tanks can come in 8ft+ sizes I just want to make sure glass/acrylic wouldn’t cause any problems with the heat lamp
Or him trying to walk through the glass, I’m in the uk so an outdoor enclosure isn’t suitable for 10-11 months of the year

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you can get one that is 4x8 feet, glass or acrylic will work fine. It would be cheaper to build one out of wood and you could add acrylic or glass to a side if you wanted to look into it from the side.