Question aboout indoor enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I don't own a tortoise yet, I am currently doing research. If I was to get one, it would probably be something like a Horsefield / Russian or Hermann.

In regards to the indoor inclosures that generally seem to be used for tortoises that are very young and small, do people tend to still use them into adulthood or does every one that owns a tortoise only use tables under the intention of at some point moving them to a permanent outdoor enclosure once they become of age / size or can you continue to use both?

I am finding it very difficult to determine what size table is suitable for an indoor enclosure, people just say 'bigger the better', which I appreciate but doesn't give me any guidance.

I would be looking at a table with around 8 sqft of floor space, basically 4x2 ft or possible 9 sqft of floor space. Would this be suitable for a smaller breed of tortoise even as an adult, which would be put out in an outdoor enclosure when the weather permits? (I live in the UK).

Lastly, if it is okay to home them within an indoor enclosure when they are young and small, up to what age / size would a 4x2 ft table be adequate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Anon:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!! What would you like us to call you?...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

In my opinion, tortoises are wild animals (they haven't undergone years and years of human intervention to domesticate them), and as wild animals, they belong outside. I don't think one should EVER buy a tortoise if they are mainly thinking of keeping it permanently indoors. Living temporarily indoors would be ok, but the first and foremost habitat should be outside.

(Just MY opinion)

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Anon, Welcome.

I have two adult Russians. They don't get along, so I have split a 2 foot by 6 foot, indoor enclosure to keep them in. Due to low night time temperature throughout the year, I bring them indoors at night and any times the temperatures drop below 68 F. (Winter).

During their inside times, I allow them to roam the house, SUPERVISED, until bedtime. (This is not recommended, it is just how I choose to take care of mine.)

During the warm Spring and Summer months I have them each in their own 3 feet by 5 feet outdoor enclosures and bring them in every night, for security and heat.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.