Freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
I am getting my Star Tortoise tomorrow (early afternoon). I have read forums, books and plenty of care sheets. I just don't know if I am prepared. I am freaking out. This is such a small beautiful creature and I don't want to harm it in anyway.

I have the list of foods that Stars can eat.. Can anyone verify this?
I have chosen substrate after much thought and am going with Cypress Mulch which is drying out now and has been for 2 days.
I have tested the temps. 95 of the basking side and 72 on cool side. 70 in the middle.
I have chosen to leave food out during the day to munch on.. Is this okay or recommended by you guys?
There are PLENTY of hideaways (logs, plants, ect)
There are rocks to climb but not to high to flip over. Just one layer of rocks if that makes sense.
I plan on soaking once a day. I have read conflicting things about providing a water source. Should I or should I not? Just a small one of course. (I know they can't swim)..

Can anyone think of anything else to inform me about?

I won't be able to sleep unless I am completely prepared for this little guy. I say guy but I don't know the sex as of yet.

Oh and finally names.. Any good names?

Thanks you guys.. for putting up with me.. I am a nervous person.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Vishnu2 said:
I am getting my Star Tortoise tomorrow (early afternoon). I have read forums, books and plenty of care sheets. I just don't know if I am prepared. I am freaking out. This is such a small beautiful creature and I don't want to harm it in anyway.

I have chosen substrate after much thought and am going with Cypress Mulch which is drying out now and has been for 2 days.
I have tested the temps. 95 of the basking side and 72 on cool side. 70 in the middle.
I have chosen to leave food out during the day to munch on.. Is this okay or recommended by you guys?
There are rocks to climb but not to high to flip over. Just one layer of rocks if that makes sense.
I plan on soaking once a day. I have read conflicting things about providing a water source. Should I or should I not? Just a small one of course. (I know they can't swim)..

I won't be able to sleep unless I am completely prepared for this little guy. I say guy but I don't know the sex as of yet.

Its ok Im a nervous person to:D Some people put water dishes in the enclosure and some dont. I keep a water dish for all mine, If he is real small just make it real shallow like a butter lid. Everything will be fine he just needs good daily care. he will need time to settle in to his new environment some torts do this fast and some slow, some eat right out of the box some dont eat for a week. Just keep a good eye on him

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
bigred said:
Vishnu2 said:

Its ok Im a nervous person to:D Some people put water dishes in the enclosure and some dont. I keep a water dish for all mine, If he is real small just make it real shallow like a butter lid. Everything will be fine he just needs good daily care. he will need time to settle in to his new environment some torts do this fast and some slow, some eat right out of the box some dont eat for a week. Just keep a good eye on him

So, a small dish? Got it! Maybe like a planters pot drip tray? But, filled with a little bit of water. His/Her enclosure is huge so I should get a med size one with a little water in it. I don't work so I will be keeping a VERY close eye on him/her. Thanks for your advice.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have several star tortoises from yearlings to adults so feel free to email or pm me anytime. They are not anymore difficult to take care of than a leopard tortoise. I have read many stories and if you do your research, they will thrive. The forum is so beneficial and offers such a wealth of info. The biggest issue I would say with stars is that they are a species that truly needs to not be mixed with other species. They are more susceptible to pathogens than some other tortoises. The cypress mulch is a good substrate for them.

Also if you do choose to keep a small dish in the setup, place it in the middle of your enclosure. Usually when a lil' one decides to climb they will use the walls of the setup to do so and if they happen to flip over, you don't want them to land it the water dish. I choose to keep water dishes available and I find it beneficial but not everyone feels comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.