Free range questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

So I guess this now becomes debatable as the original post is now closed.

You know, this person actually asked for opinions. The tactics employed seem to be that those questions were answered. Doesn't seem like the worst the worst thing.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I'm a little confused what are you asking for about this thread specifically? Are we discussing free range or what? Thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree. When people are trying to help your animal, don't make excuses of why you can't. If you can't do better when your doing so bad, then rehome the animal to someone that can. Specially when your a vet tech or work in any field of animals, you should know or do better.
As for the thread being closed, I believe (don't know) it was because the OP said good bye to the forum, so there was no reason for more replays.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, it's just too cold on the floor for a tortoise. That's my biggest gripe about it. The other things, dust bunnies, cords, small bits of plastic, hair, etc. - these are all things that puppies and kittens encounter too. Tortoises are just a whole lot quieter than a little mammal. I just keep harking back to the poor little sulcata that got his head squashed behind the door. Just too many hazards for a little tortoise to have to endure.

About the particular thread that spurred this thread - Once we gave the OP all our opinions on whether or not this was a good idea for her, we all should have dropped it. The problem arose when we kept at it over and over again.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So this thread is not really to discuss the pros and cons of free range?

SteveW

So this thread is not really to discuss the pros and cons of free range?

If you can think of a 'pro' feel free to throw it out for discussion. As there aren't any, I suspect it will be brief.

As to this thread, the point I intended was that the OP of the previous thread specifically asked for feedback. Feedback was provided. That the OP left in a huff is on them. It's never a good idea to ask a question you don't want the answer to.
Regardless, berating someone that actually took the time to answer the question is both mean spirited and counter productive to a forum of information.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
In my opinion, it's just too cold on the floor for a tortoise. That's my biggest gripe about it. The other things, dust bunnies, cords, small bits of plastic, hair, etc. - these are all things that puppies and kittens encounter too. Tortoises are just a whole lot quieter than a little mammal. I just keep harking back to the poor little sulcata that got his head squashed behind the door. Just too many hazards for a little tortoise to have to endure.

About the particular thread that spurred this thread - Once we gave the OP all our opinions on whether or not this was a good idea for her, we all should have dropped it. The problem arose when we kept at it over and over again.

It should have been left open.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I agree.
It would have been possible to point out to the OP that one can block people who you don't wish to converse with, that there are other solutions to the space problem, some of which were touched upon, provide links to two-tired enclosure threads, that there are people who are sympathetic to the problems involved and wish to give positive criticism or advice.
if the OP does return, even just to look at what happens, the thread ends on a very negative note, all around.
(though I do understand that it was possibly going to end in a face off between members with differing views.).

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I agree all that was said was what we all thought but didn't say. I'm sorry that I didn't say what tom said what was best for the tort . I'm sorry tom !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I NEVER like it when someone leaves the forum in a huff. That is never my goal.

But darn it, some things need to be said. We will never all agree on what those things are or when they should be said, but I stand by my comments. I'm not sorry. I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. And I said it with the intention of HELPING that tortoise and helping that tortoises new owner gain some understanding. Frankly, I don't know that I failed. She got the message. I think she knows she is in the wrong and I think that is why she over-reacted. With 20 years of vet tech experience, she is used to giving the lectures, not receiving them. She sees other animal keepers and pets owners as dummies and herself as the expert. She didn't like having it pointed out that she was making the same sort husbandry errors that she has spent so many years admonishing other per owners about.

My wife was a vet tech for 13 years. We both work closely with vets and techs on a daily basis due to our jobs and our animals. Many of our friends are vet techs and vets. I don't know this woman, but I sure as heck know her type.

In any case, thanks to those who have voiced support, and to those who feel I was in the wrong, I ask again, what tactic do you think was going to get that tortoise off that floor?

Steve, Thanks for this thread. I do feel bad when these things happen, and it does make me question my sanity sometimes. Seeing comments from both sides in a thread like this brings me some peace and reassures me that I am not that far out there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree all that was said was what we all thought but didn't say. I'm sorry that I didn't say what tom said what was best for the tort . I'm sorry tom !

Its okay. I know what you were thinking.

Thanks for the good company at lunch! That corn was tasty!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If you can think of a 'pro' feel free to throw it out for discussion. As there aren't any, I suspect it will be brief.

As to this thread, the point I intended was that the OP of the previous thread specifically asked for feedback. Feedback was provided. That the OP left in a huff is on them. It's never a good idea to ask a question you don't want the answer to.
Regardless, berating someone that actually took the time to answer the question is both mean spirited and counter productive to a forum of information.

So in your own words this thread ìs to "discuss" a person NOT the theory behind free range?

SteveW

So in your own words this thread ìs to "discuss" a person NOT the theory behind free range?

No, those would be your words. I wanted to discuss the situation. But as previously mentioned, if you'd like to share your thoughts (now risen to the level of theory) on letting torts roam through the house, then by all means. As the OP I give you my blessing. 'Drop some knowledge' as the kids might say.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just seems only two of all the posts in here are actually debating the title topic.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

I don't think there's a moderator on the forum who hasn't succumbed to the wishes of the OP when they've asked for their thread to be closed. If the OP asks to close a thread, we do. That's all there is to it. You've done it yourself, Barb.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I NEVER like it when someone leaves the forum in a huff. That is never my goal.

But darn it, some things need to be said. We will never all agree on what those things are or when they should be said, but I stand by my comments. I'm not sorry. I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. And I said it with the intention of HELPING that tortoise and helping that tortoises new owner gain some understanding. Frankly, I don't know that I failed. She got the message. I think she knows she is in the wrong and I think that is why she over-reacted. With 20 years of vet tech experience, she is used to giving the lectures, not receiving them. She sees other animal keepers and pets owners as dummies and herself as the expert. She didn't like having it pointed out that she was making the same sort husbandry errors that she has spent so many years admonishing other per owners about.

My wife was a vet tech for 13 years. We both work closely with vets and techs on a daily basis due to our jobs and our animals. Many of our friends are vet techs and vets. I don't know this woman, but I sure as heck know her type.

In any case, thanks to those who have voiced support, and to those who feel I was in the wrong, I ask again, what tactic do you think was going to get that tortoise off that floor?

Steve, Thanks for this thread. I do feel bad when these things happen, and it does make me question my sanity sometimes. Seeing comments from both sides in a thread like this brings me some peace and reassures me that I am not that far out there.

I came late to the thread, and didn't really see what was going on as it was happening, but reading the whole thing at one time it became obvious to me that you were beating a dead horse, Tom. You made your point, and even though she kept saying she wasn't going to change, you kept on at her. There's only so much we can do. Make your point then leave it alone.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just seems only two of all the posts in here are actually debating the title topic.
Wow! I just read the original thread. It got really charged with all kinds of emotions, didn't it?... Emotions aside though, I think this was a good topic for a debate. For new keeper (such as yours truly) it is good to read opinions of people with years of experience voicing their views, learn from all of them and find my own way, one that suits my current situation best. I tend to just pick the pertinent content from people's posts and not worry so much about the diplomacy of the use of words. Some people are really gifted with words and others are not. Some are awesome diplomats who are able to deliver potentially upsetting news in a nice, soft way, and others tend to say it like it is focusing on pure content. I see value to both types of voices of experienced keepers on here. I am here to learn first and foremost. Making friends on the forum is a bonus. I don't have to like or be liked by every single member, but I know that the more I read, the more I'm likely to learn and become the better tort grandma. Every single post has a potential of bringing a nugget of valuable information even if delivered in a little harsh way, even if I have to hear something I don't really want to hear. My point is: we All share common purpose which is keeping our torts healthy and safe, and it's the content rather than delivery that personally I'm after. I appreciate all the forum contributors for taking their time to help me learn. In 4&1/2 months I have learned so much from you Guys and gained so much confidence. I thank you for your time and willingness to help

Status
Not open for further replies.