Free Sulcata on CL-- Cross your fingers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Somebody is giving away a free 3 yr old Sulcata on Craigslist. They sent me a picture and I replied saying I will take him. They didn't even seem to know what type of tortoise he was, so I REALLY hope they give him to me, and not somebody else (like the last time I replied to a tortoise related CL posting-- it turned out to be a CDT, and the person didn't even know!). They are giving him away because they are moving to a smaller apartment.

I am building a new (6'x'6) outdoor enclosure for my hatchlings, so can easily make this guy one too.

Cross your fingers!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
125548qs93jxgwf5.gif

And, of course, we expect pictures!!

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I had not heard from the owner for a little bit, so thought she gave him to somebody else, but she emailed me back this evening.

We will hopefully be picking him up this Thursday!-- It would be tommorrow, but I still need to finish his enclosures.

Right now he is living in their kitchen and eating lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, etc.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
...that does SUCK! Sorry!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yep, free stuff is tuff. You pretty much have to be ready to get it NOW. But don't worry, there will be another one soon enough! Why not get that bigger pen ready anyway- just in case. If nothing else, you can move your others in there when they are bigger :)

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
chadk said:
Yep, free stuff is tuff. You pretty much have to be ready to get it NOW. But don't worry, there will be another one soon enough! Why not get that bigger pen ready anyway- just in case. If nothing else, you can move your others in there when they are bigger :)

I emailed her on the 23rd. She replied on the 24th only with a picture. I replied that same day saying I will take him and asked for info on how to pick him up. No response. I email again on the 25th and she replied later that day asking when we can get him. I reply (same day) saying either today (the 26th) or tommorrow. She said Thursday at noon was fine. I asked again for the address/contact number, she replied this morning saying somebody picked him up this morning.

Then she went on to say that under the sircumstances they felt they need to get rid of him right away. So I replied and told her if she would have told me that, we could have come today, or the initial day I emailed her!-- But instead, she waited around to contact me back, and wasted my time.

Bottom line, she didn't care about the tortoise and she doesn't care where he is now. We could have picked him up ASAP if she would have provided information on where to pick him up, but she failed to do so.

I feel bad for the toroise, but know there will be others. We just went out and bought the wood sides for my new hatchling enclosure, and will go back and get more if/when I get a larger Sulcata too.

luvsulcatas

5 Year Member
So sad to hear he is gone to someone else. However, could be you're meant to take in another Sulcata in even worse circumstances. Life is funny that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.